Tram Trains thread

For anyone wanting to get on one of these trams at Parkgate, an access is by going down the side of Boots chemist building , or walk up the back road way of the retail units where delivery vehicles go. Unsure which is the official access to this tram stop. Annie probably knows?

For anyone wanting to get on one of these trams at Parkgate, an access is by going down the side of Boots chemist building , or walk up the back road way of the retail units where delivery vehicles go. Unsure which is the official access to this tram stop. Annie probably knows?

The intended route for pedestrians is the new walkway by Boots, access to the passenger pick up/set down facility by car is via that service road. I couldn't say whether there was also a pedestrian path alongside the service road, I've only been up there once and didn't notice!

Guest busdriver1
The intended route for pedestrians is the new walkway by Boots, access to the passenger pick up/set down facility by car is via that service road.

Interesting to note that to do so requires motorists to pass through a no entry sign unless they go via the retail park car park first.

Picture

Edited by busdriver1

The correct access to that service road is actually through the retail park. I see cars waiting in the right hand lane waiting to turn right thru that no entry, and holding up the traffic behind them.

If ever they are in a collision they have some explaining to do.

Guest busdriver1
The correct access to that service road is actually through the retail park. I see cars waiting in the right hand lane waiting to turn right thru that no entry, and holding up the traffic behind them.

If ever they are in a collision they have some explaining to do.

Unless they are going to Mcdonalds for some "food".

Gave it a try yesterday and was impressed with how fast we got from Parkgate into Sheffield, seemed quicker than going on the Blue route between Crystal Peaks and Sheffield. However, I do have some concerns:

1- The PIDs have no information about the TramTrain service at all, no live departure information or service details - surely an embarrassment after 8 years in the planning? :huh::huh:

2- The timings: Yellow route trams seemed to be in front of the TramTrain service slowing them down, even though when consulting the timetable they were shown to be a few minutes ahead of the Yellow route service? Yesterday the one we were waiting to return to Parkgate was 10 minutes late on a Sunday - 6 of those minutes were due to the tram waiting at Castle Square for what I presume was a late running Yellow route tram to clear Cathedral before it then moved up to Cathedral to turn around and go back towards Roterham. On a Sunday afternoon too! :rant::rant:

3- The Yellow route trams don't provide any information on the announcements to change at Tinsley/Meadowhall South for Rotherham Central or Parkgate like what happens on all other routes. This has been in the planning again for the last 8 years and with the new/revised audio announcements only been introduced in January 2018 surely a bit of forward planning wouldn't have gone a miss here! :roll::roll:

On the plus side the route does seem good, and is very good value for money with the tickets that can be used and purchased on board. I also like the fact how at Rotherham Central and Parkgate there are also audio announcements for the tram and lists all the stops between Parkgate and Cathedral.

One thing I didn't like was the inconsistency in the naming of stops: Parkgate as it should be, is clearly shown on the station signage etc. yet Stagecoach Supertram / Travel South Yorkshire seem keen on using "Rotherham" at the front of Parkgate of which there is no such place. At least the announcements onboard the tram state the correct destination "Parkgate" :hihi::hihi:

Guest busdriver1

One thing I didn't like was the inconsistency in the naming of stops: Parkgate as it should be, is clearly shown on the station signage etc. yet Stagecoach Supertram / Travel South Yorkshire seem keen on using "Rotherham" at the front of Parkgate of which there is no such place. At least the announcements onboard the tram state the correct destination "Parkgate" :hihi::hihi:

Surely as Parkgate is IN Rotherham the use of the Town name prior to Parkgate is just a confirmation of that?

I REALLY do not see the issue here.

Surely as Parkgate is IN Rotherham the use of the Town name prior to Parkgate is just a confirmation of that?

I REALLY do not see the issue here.

Well by all accounts then, should we rename Meadowhall to "Sheffield Meadowhall" since it's in Sheffield as you say? :hihi::hihi:

Yes I noticed the lack of clear signage to the tram train and was surprised, no doubt the opening of the service has come as a surprise

---------- Post added 29-10-2018 at 12:18 ----------

Gave it a try yesterday and was impressed with how fast we got from Parkgate into Sheffield, seemed quicker than going on the Blue route between Crystal Peaks and Sheffield. However, I do have some concerns:

1- The PIDs have no information about the TramTrain service at all, no live departure information or service details - surely an embarrassment after 8 years in the planning? :huh::huh:

I have been banging on to both the PTE and Stagecoach about how bad the Pids are since they were introduced but the PTE take the view that it does not matter if they show wrong information as they are sometimes right!

I was at Parkway on Thursday afternoon and the Pid was showing this message which did not change to show departure information after the tram had arrived for both the tram I arrived on and an hour later the one I left on (which happened to be on the tram that crashed) so perhaps I and the others should have followed the advise!

1st Arrival: from Cathedral" ... (no time given for when it would arrive)

The next train finishes its journey here please do not get on this train. This train is the Stagecoach Supertram from cathedral"