Hospitals should ban cars

Might sound extreme this but my recent visit to the hospital (by taxi) was a joke, It took 25 minutes to get to the front entrance because of the gridlock by all the people in their own cars trying to find a parking space.

I drive a car and I either get a bus or taxi because driving my car to the RHH is just too stressful.

I've come to the conclusion that a ban on cars entering the hospital grounds of all the hospitals would help congestion, not make people late and also help the environment.

Thoughts?

Genius, we could also solve congestion in every city in the country by banning cars. And meadowhall would be much quieter if we banned people. :roll:

Look, I am not going to play top trumps.

Taxpayers do not owe you conveniece monies of getting to and from work. If YOU choose to drive then YOU choose to pay for parking.

If you dont like it, then you sacrifice and use public transport, find somewhere off site to park for free or make alternative arrangements.

The point I am trying to raise is clear. Shift workers are not just hospital staff. People in a range of professions and jobs work various shifts at all hours. Not all of them drive and those who do have no automatic right to free parking.

Travel costs whether that's bus fares, train fares, petrol or car parking fees is an expense we ALL have to pay out of our salaries.

Travel time whether that is commuting in a car, waiting at a bus stop or walking from door to door is a intrusion in our precious downtime that we ALL have to put up with.

What makes hospital workers unique? "working shift hours" is not enough.

---------- Post added 05-02-2017 at 21:57 ----------

I agree. I have already said this. You pay for a permit and that should entitle you to a space in the permit car park.

I repeat... If that is not happening becuase someone with no permit is there, you need to be raising it with your management.

When I was working, I worked in a lot of industries other than the NHS, but never mind that.

As it seems you are getting rather stressed over this, I will leave it.

I don't want you become an NHS patient. ;)

As to why people don't use public transport, I live quite close to the hospital, call it 15 mins drive in normal traffic.

By public transport according to the journey planner, 50 minutes... That's each way.

So an out patient appointment that lasts 30 minutes changes from just over an hour, to somewhere between 2 and 3 hours... Oh, and the 1st part of that public transport is a 19 minute walk, so that's not going to be appropriate for many people.

I pay to park my car in the hospital grounds out of my wages every month. This does not guarantee me a parking space. If I cannot find a parking space in the permit users car park - often because non permit holders are parked there - I have to try to find a pay and display space which I have to pay for.

I often finish work around 21.30hrs - often later - and have to return the following day to start work at 07.00hrs. I live 8 miles away. Please tell me how I can 'get to work 'another way' without spending a large amount of my wage on taxis and allowing myself to return to work not sleep deprived.

Umm Working time directive states you must have at least 11 hours rest period.... so if you are contractually obliged to those hours some I think may be doing something naughty....

Umm Working time directive states you must have at least 11 hours rest period.... so if you are contractually obliged to those hours some I think may be doing something naughty....

Some NHS staff are permitted (read expected) to wave some working time protections.

• 2 weeks later...
See third paragraph of my earlier post. You are not unique. Lots of shifts workers have the same position on a daily basis.

As for not being able to find a parking space in your paid for permit area, becuase non permit holders are in there - I would concede that that is unfortunate and not acceptable. However, that is clearly a lack of enforcement and weaknesses by your own employer which is for you to raise.

On a positive note - I have noticed recently that cars parked in the staff permit holders only car park not displaying a permit are being ticketed. Definitely a step forwards.