NPower to raise Electric charges by 15%, Gas by 4.9%

It said wholesale electricity prices had risen 38% over the last 12 months, while gas prices had risen 60%.

And possibly smart metres, I have held off getting one, but I believe they can save people money - so I will make inquiries.

Who said? .

They are always blaming rising prices on green taxes, I don't believe smart metres are a green issue.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/feb/03/npower-electricity-gas-price-rises-dual-fuel-bills

I don't see how you manage that.

Where do you suppose all the money for expensive green activities comes from?

It's a continuous process of replacing traditional generation with renewables and of course the expensive and wasteful gas backup for them.

Since the referendum, wholesale gas prices have risen by around 20%, so they are doing well to only increase by 5% ;)

...It's already at 5%. It can't be cut further under EU law...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-zero-rating-of-womens-sanitary-products/vat-zero-rating-of-womens-sanitary-products

"The Prime Minister secured agreement with his European counterparts at the March European Council to welcome the intention of the Commission to enable increased flexibility for member states with respect to zero and reduced rates of VAT.

The UK is using this opportunity to provide for the reduction of VAT on women’s sanitary products to the zero-rate."

"Group 4, Schedule 7A, VAT Act 1994 permits the reduced rate of VAT to apply to the supply of women’s sanitary products."

"Group 4 of Schedule 7A, VAT Act 1994 is withdrawn and the same legislation is now inserted as Group 19 into Schedule 8 (the zero-rate schedule). This has the effect of making supplies of women’s sanitary products that were previously subject to the reduced rate now subject to the zero-rate."