Anyone a mechanic on here? Advice only (no jobs/quotes etc)

There is now no minimum pad material limit for the MOT. As long as there is the required brake effort produced for a car of that weight and power, it will pass the brake test.

Yes there is, in fact mine failed on that just the other day.

Rear Brake pad(s) less than 1.5 mm thick

Had em off last night and I'm sure there's much more meat on them than that :suspect::suspect::suspect:

The 1.5mm limit is only a guide and is very difficult to measure, If friction material can still be seen it should be a pass and advise.

My tester says that it is a visual inspection only and anything less than 3mm he will stick it on as an advisory unless there are obvious chunks of pad material flaked off in which case he will fail even if the brake test is passed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My wife has just bought a Fiat 500, purely on how it looked and after a ten-minute test drive.

It is really lumpy on idle and cuts out when it comes to a stop (but not if the handbrake is on - sometimes). It restarts when the clutch is depressed, but not every time. Is it supposed to do this and can it be turned off, if so?

I have also read here that they are useless at going up hills.

My wife has just bought a Fiat 500, purely on how it looked and after a ten-minute test drive.

It is really lumpy on idle and cuts out when it comes to a stop (but not if the handbrake is on - sometimes). It restarts when the clutch is depressed, but not every time.

Presumably these things occurred during the 10 minute test drive and she still bought it?

And how did it look any different to the countless other Fiat 500s for sale?

Presumably these things occurred during the 10 minute test drive and she still bought it?

And how did it look any different to the countless other Fiat 500s for sale?

It didn't cut out in the test drive and not restart. It was allegedly serviced after the test drive. I suggested waiting and trying some others for comparison. I even suggested trying the 1.2 in red at the same dealership but she had made-up her mind. Now I have to sort it out.