Anyone a mechanic on here? Advice only (no jobs/quotes etc)

Hi I hope someone can help me or point me in the right direction my wife's brake pads needed to be replace so I have managed to do one side no problem but I have now got down to the piston on the other side my piston tool has broken and I am not able to get the piston back in can anybody recommend what to do I've managed to get someone out Tuesday but we could do with car tomorrow thanks for looking

Hi I hope someone can help me or point me in the right direction my wife's brake pads needed to be replace so I have managed to do one side no problem but I have now got down to the piston on the other side my piston tool has broken and I am not able to get the piston back in can anybody recommend what to do I've managed to get someone out Tuesday but we could do with car tomorrow thanks for looking

Can you just use a lever, a big screw driver?

Oh crap. How much do mechanics charge for that? Had such a bad time with cars and could cry!

You can get an OBD bluetooth reader that you connect to a smart phone; think mine cost me about 6 quid and 2 quid for the app.

Think this is the one I have, you need to pair it to an Android phone (couldn't get it working with an iOS phone): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kasstino-ELM327-Bluetooth-Scanner-Android/dp/B01I3GSXQU/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1496067062&sr=1-8&keywords=obd

Edited by Waldo

I recently changed the pads on my car, I just wedged a screwdriver between the pads and the piston (with the caliper down), wiggle screwdriver to force the piston back. Then raise caliper and change pads. Worth doing a search on YouTube.

I wouldn't go levering the piston in if its a screw in type.

Yes you should use a proper caliper rewind tool, they're only a few quid and most places stock them.

Are the pistons reverse thread? I can't remember?

Yes you should use a proper caliper rewind tool, they're only a few quid and most places stock them.

Are the pistons reverse thread? I can't remember?

Isn't it just the ones on rear wheels that need to be screwed in?