Anyone a mechanic on here? Advice only (no jobs/quotes etc)

I have just viewed one and the foot-wells were soaking wet. The car had been stood for a couple of weeks and it has been raining a lot. I gather that blocked pipes can cause the problem and a good clean under the bonnet should fix it. I also noticed a raised ridge running down the middle of the footwell in the direction of the pedals to the seat, which felt a little strange. I would have expected it to be flat. Is this how the cars are? Or is there something amiss with this one? Otherwise the car seems fine. Any advice would be much appreciated.

The title of this thread was changed by a mod for some reason. The car is a 53 plate Renault Scenic.

Edited by Marx

I have just viewed one and the foot-wells were soaking wet. The car had been stood for a couple of weeks and it has been raining a lot.

I'd avoid. Any seller who can't be bothered to make a car presentable could be lazy in care in other areas of the car.

I have just viewed one and the foot-wells were soaking wet. The car had been stood for a couple of weeks and it has been raining a lot. I gather that blocked pipes can cause the problem and a good clean under the bonnet should fix it. I also noticed a raised ridge running down the middle of the footwell in the direction of the pedals to the seat, which felt a little strange. I would have expected it to be flat. Is this how the cars are? Or is there something amiss with this one? Otherwise the car seems fine. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Some kind of idea what make and model of car would be helpful.

Main concern with wet in the footwell area is the possibility of damage to the electrics behind the dash, a fair number of cars also place the ECU in that area.

Given it's a relatively common car I'd look elsewhere, unless it's stupid cheap.

Main concern with wet in the footwell area is the possibility of damage to the electrics behind the dash, a fair number of cars also place the ECU in that area.

Given it's a relatively common car I'd look elsewhere, unless it's stupid cheap.

It is pretty cheap and in otherwise ok condition. I will have a closer look around the electrics and bulkhead though. It had been stood for a couple of weeks while they were on holiday and it has rained a lot lately.

The 'crossmember' running along the footwell is a little odd.

Got my mot due next month.

My handbrake needs attention.

I pull it all the way up and it isn't working.

I've adjusted it, but think the cable has stretched or need new brake shoes fitting.

Last year mot I was told one of the back brakes had started sticking and it will need attention.

If I pull the brake all the way up the brakes stick on for a while ?

advice is dont do it yourself as you don't no what your doing , go to a garage with a proper mechanic, and note, a garage with a proper mechanic,

It is pretty cheap and in otherwise ok condition. I will have a closer look around the electrics and bulkhead though. It had been stood for a couple of weeks while they were on holiday and it has rained a lot lately.

The 'crossmember' running along the footwell is a little odd.

Could be a really bad sub install job?

or they could have pulled the carpet up before and not put it back properly, which would indicate it's had damp issues for quite some time.