Should we have more veg and fruit community gardens ?

I know that in some areas their is already an community garden which grows vegetables and fruit which is sold to the public that funds the garden.

Given that is likely theirs going to be shortages of certain vegetables or fruits due to flooding in Spain and other Mediterranean nations which has put the prices up and supermarkets now are going to be rationed certain foods. Should we reuse any scrap land for new community gardens ?

Also schools with any spare land could grow food some schools already do this which could be sold or used for school meals.

Perhaps another idea but might be complicated due to land ownership is reuse any abandoned farmland?

Encourage people to grow their own if they can any ideas how that could be done?

I know that in some areas their is already an community garden which grows vegetables and fruit which is sold to the public that funds the garden.

Given that is likely theirs going to be shortages of certain vegetables or fruits due to flooding in Spain and other Mediterranean nations which has put the prices up and supermarkets now are going to be rationed certain foods. Should we reuse any scrap land for new community gardens ?

Also schools with any spare land could grow food some schools already do this which could be sold or used for school meals.

Perhaps another idea but might be complicated due to land ownership is reuse any abandoned farmland?

Encourage people to grow their own if they can any ideas how that could be done?

Any spare land will be used to build 'luxury apartments' or 'executive homes'.

Where I live they are getting rid of the allotments to build the aforementioned.

Until we get a decent government this country will continue to degenerate until selling out to the americans will seem like a welcome relief.

I have been told that The Duke Of Northumberland got rid of the allotments in the village of Corbridge, which he owned, to build houses on. I suspect these houses would be very expensive to buy.

Perhaps people who have gardens should try and grow vegetables in them. People who have allotments could help people who have never grown fruit and vegetables before. The council or other organisations could help to get it up and running. If the population is increasing every year then we need to look to the future and invest more in farming.

Whatever we do we won't be growing brocolli, courgettes, iceberg lettuces, aubergines, peppers etc in gardens in Sheffield in January / February :cool:

Whatever we do we won't be growing brocolli, courgettes, iceberg lettuces, aubergines, peppers etc in gardens in Sheffield in January / February :cool:

Hahaha. If I was to live on the produce still growing on my Sheffield allotment, I wouldn't have a very varied diet. Kale, leeks and cabbage are all that I have at the moment. The leeks are nearly finished too.

I'll be able to sort out the great courgette crisis by July though:)

Hahaha. If I was to live on the produce still growing on my Sheffield allotment, I wouldn't have a very varied diet. Kale, leeks and cabbage are all that I have at the moment. The leeks are nearly finished too.

I'll be able to sort out the great courgette crisis by July though:)

You are right about the varied diet, but you are doing your bit. A friend of mine use to buy veg and salad from the allotments when available, and she said they taste better than the supermarket. Is she right?

They have to be far fresher than the supermarket.

Broccoli and Purple Sprouting Broccoli can be available in January/february cabbages and swede even sprouts, carrots and parsnips. The top of a Brussel sprout plant has a cabbagy growth on top, this also is edible, chopping the top off a sprouts plant apparently causes more growth further down the stem which produces a more open type of sprout. A bit of protection goes a long way to keeping veg and salad going through the winter. Not to mention freezing surplus produce in summer.

They have to be far fresher than the supermarket.

Broccoli and Purple Sprouting Broccoli can be available in January/february cabbages and swede even sprouts, carrots and parsnips. The top of a Brussel sprout plant has a cabbagy growth on top, this also is edible, chopping the top off a sprouts plant apparently causes more growth further down the stem which produces a more open type of sprout. A bit of protection goes a long way to keeping veg and salad going through the winter. Not to mention freezing surplus produce in summer.

Home grown beats supermarket veg and fruit any day.

what shortage do you mean out of season veg friut food?