Firwood Cottage, Reopening as The Blind Monkey

taxman

Guest makapaka
While I agree with you about Camden, and the general sale of small craft breweries to GlobalMegaHyperCorp, it doesn't always mean that they don't retain their craft arm.

Goose Island was sold to AB-InBred too (love that BTW) yet still manage to produce thir excellent Matilda and Sofie beers, plus Bourbon Country Brand Stout (including one now aged in 30yr old Heaven Hill barrels that they simply weren't able to afford before). Similarly Founders, who sold a chunk of shares to Nahou-San Siguel and Brewdog who are almost 50% Pabst, still manage to poice the like of KBS and DogG for example.

---------- Post added 10-05-2018 at 12:15 ----------

Completely agree with this though. I've had the same argument with my nephew who thinks I'm a beer snob as I don't want to go out to any old pub when he visits. Yet he won't go to a curry restaurant and pay £20 for a meal as he doesn't like it. So why should i go out for a night and drink £20 of cr@p I don't like?

I am planning to visit this plave over the next couple of weeks though - simply because I don;t usually like dissing a place before I've been in it. Plenty of time to do that after :)

Your last sentence pretty much reinforces the exact argument you are trying to counter.

Why don't you just save time and ring the pub up and ask what beer they have? If they don't sell the one you like don't go.

I made my first visit to the Blind Monkey yesterday. I can see why the R.A.T. types do not like it because it is first and foremost a pub and not a craft ale or artisan cider bar focussed on keeping the soi-disant cognoscenti happy. I had a perfectly pleasant Don Valley stout and sat in a nice beer garden in the sunshine for half an hour - that is enought to keep me happy.

Your last sentence pretty much reinforces the exact argument you are trying to counter.

Why don't you just save time and ring the pub up and ask what beer they have? If they don't sell the one you like don't go.

Good idea! You've just saved me a trip! ;)

Actually not really tho cos it's part of a pub crawl. I can cope with one or two ropey beers along the way as long as I know there is something better at the end. Just a pity the Hallmshire will be a starting point rather than finishing as unfortunately, in that area, this is far from certain.