Fund the NHS adequately

GPs BANNED from dishing out paracetamol, cough mixtures, anti-dandruff shampoo and indigestion pills to save NHS £100 million.

The proposals, which have attracted some backlash by pharmacists.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5559151/NHS-BANS-counter-remedies-prescription.html#ixzz5BE9N7WAr

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Its the Daily Mail, so I am skeptical about the story!

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5559151/NHS-BANS-counter-remedies-prescription.html#ixzz5BE8sfYUz

It's cheaper to buy these products over the counter than to pay the prescription charge, so what's the problem?

My daughter bought some cough medicine from the chemist last week, I would be surprised if it had any real effect; was the Daily Mail meaning that type of medicine, because its not a prescription item.

Dandruff shampoo, dandruff hasn't caused me a problem, but perhaps doctors do prescribe it for some reason? The article is low on detail, so I take it with a pinch of salt.

Are they banning iron tablets, and all the other vitamins which can be free bought from a supermarket, if you live near one.

Some people don't even live near a doctors/chemist, will the rules be relaxed for those people?

My daughter bought some cough medicine from the chemist last week, I would be surprised if it had any real effect; was the Daily Mail meaning that type of medicine, because its not a prescription item.

Dandruff shampoo, dandruff hasn't caused me a problem, but perhaps doctors do prescribe it for some reason? The article is low on detail, so I take it with a pinch of salt.

Are they banning iron tablets, and all the other vitamins which can be free bought from a supermarket, if you live near one.

Some people don't even live near a doctors/chemist, will the rules be relaxed for those people?

I am assuming that if they don’t live near a doctor/chemist they still get there somehow and visit a chemist for their prescription therefore can buy those items in the chemist!

Even so paracetamol can be bought on Amazon at much less the cost of a prescription and they even throw in free delivery.

It's cheaper to buy these products over the counter than to pay the prescription charge, so what's the problem?

So many people are exempt from charges! We are as pensioners, but we always buy Ibuprofen or Paracetamol from the supermarket or chemist. I've never thought of asking for either from a GP. My OH had aspirin on prescription, like many heart patients, but we now buy a months supply for about £1. It was free via prescription, but the overall cost to the NHS is much more than £1, and it doesn't exactly bankrupt us. At one time, he had six or seven medications to be paid for, so we used the prepaid certificate system which saved some money. No exemptions for potentially fatal heart conditions, one of the most common killers. Perhaps the conditions that are exempt should be re-examined, although I can imagine any changes causing an outcry.

Of course, 70 years ago when the NHS was originally set up, there was a belief that demand (and costs) would reduce because we'd all be in much better health. No account could be made for advances in medical science, discovering conditions that weren't known about years ago; or the enormous growth in population even with a falling birthrate; cosmetic procedures; fertility treatments; obesity etc.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

GPs BANNED from dishing out paracetamol, cough mixtures, anti-dandruff shampoo and indigestion pills to save NHS £100 million.

The proposals, which have attracted some backlash by pharmacists.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5559151/NHS-BANS-counter-remedies-prescription.html#ixzz5BE9N7WAr

Its the Daily Mail, so I am skeptical about the story!

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5559151/NHS-BANS-counter-remedies-prescription.html#ixzz5BE8sfYUz

Pharmacists are against it because they can’t now charge the nhs £8 plus for a box of paracetamol. Long overdue this rule I say....

• 1 month later...
Maybe, just maybe.. we should have some form of means testing whereby those that earn more pay more in NI contributions.

NI is paid as a % of income... :confused:

---------- Post added 24-05-2018 at 16:07 ----------

Pharmacists are against it because they can’t now charge the nhs £8 plus for a box of paracetamol. Long overdue this rule I say....

Do you imagine that the £8 charge is retained by the pharmacist?

NI is paid as a % of income... :confused:

But it is fixed and not on a sliding scale dependent on what you earn.

From what I can gather if you are in normal employment and earn up to £892 PW you pay 12%. If you earn over £892 PW you then only pay an extra 2% on that.

I think that is right, please correct me if I'm wrong.