Fund the NHS adequately

I don't see many OAP's rolling about drunk or drugged up in Town on a Friday and Saturday night. They ALL look pretty young to my elderly eyes.

Angel1

You're wrong nonetheless:

Men aged 55–64 years of age consumed the most number of alcohol units of all age groups. For women, the age group that consumed the most units was aged 45–54 years.

Best Pete

Edited by biotechpete

So, my contributions will have gone towards people who needed the help at the time, which is as it should be. That's why it's called insurance. Nobody thinks it's stacked up waiting for them.

Incidently we are now more heavily taxed than ever, and certainly more heavily taxed than most of Europe, bar the Scandinavian countries.

As compared to the late 1970's with 35% base rate of tax and up to 83% of tax if you were a bit successful? Still had VAT up at 12.5% or 25% on items as well... and there was NI too...at least 6% to the UEL

Let's stop this 'blame' game. It's not the fault of older people that they need the NHS, anymore than that applies to anyone who needs the NHS.

It's just more of the divide and conquer tactic which sets one group of British citizens against another to divert attention from the real problems in the NHS, which is now inefficient, overstuffed bureaucratic nightmare, with poor management and little joined up thinking, thanks to years of political meddling.

We,spend less on the NHS than most countries do on their health care, but it's just a political football with both sides slagging each other off an trying to score points instead of getting down to a proper debate that comes up with solutions.

---------- Post added 09-02-2017 at 23:54 ----------

Let's stop this 'blame' game. It's not the fault of older people that they need the NHS, anymore than that applies to anyone who needs the NHS.

It's just more of the divide and conquer tactic which sets one group of British citizens against another to divert attention from the real problems in the NHS, which is now inefficient, overstuffed bureaucratic nightmare, with poor management and little joined up thinking, thanks to years of political meddling.

We,spend less on the NHS than most countries do on their health care, but it's just a political football with both sides slagging each other off an trying to score points instead of getting down to a proper debate that comes up with solutions.

Ah your not too happy about tuition fees eh :suspect:

You go on about the younger generation bearing costs, what exactly are these costs that they are bearing that the older generations haven't, do they earn less or pay more tax or Nat Ins ?

The younger generation who have had drug and alcohol issues (binge drinking for example) may find themselves burdening the NHS in the future if and when they get older themselves, and what about burdening the generations that will follow them ?

There are elderly people now who have to fund their own care home fees from their pension and their property, how on earth will paying a few quid more in taxes ever cover the ever increasing cost of health care ?

It won't and no future government will be able to sort it !

As for the 'drop in the ocean' cost of translation services, does that cost cover all the time required to implement translation and interpretation, after all time is money and waiting times are an issue in the NHS.

I haven't paid high fees, but I still have a substantial chunk taken from my wages. It is very clear that most recent graduates will effectively be paying an extra £100/month, at least, in tax for the rest of their lives.

Housing costs in particular are much higher for millennials.

A combination of falling homeownership levels and the rising cost of renting meant that people born between 1981 and 2000 would pay £53,000 in rent before their 30th birthday, the Resolution Foundation said. In contrast, those born between 1946 and 1965 typically spent £9,000, in today’s money.

And from the link you could have just clicked:

The inflation-adjusted price of a house has risen by over 200% in thirty years

Income rises recently have also been skewed to the older generation

For employees aged 60 and older, median real hourly pay in 2014 was back to its 2008 level, but for those aged 22-29 it was still 9% lower than in 2008

The average pensioner now has a higher income than the average working person.

---------- Post added 09-02-2017 at 23:56 ----------

You're right, it's not the fault of the older generation that they need healthcare, but in reality they can't expect for it to be paid for out of taxation on workers, who on average earn less than they do.

I haven't paid high fees, but I still have a substantial chunk taken from my wages. It is very clear that most recent graduates will effectively be paying an extra £100/month, at least, in tax for the rest of their lives.

You're right, it's not the fault of the older generation that they need healthcare, but in reality they can't expect for it to be paid for out of taxation on workers, who on average earn less than they do.

Don't understand your reasoning on this. Health care has always been paid for from the taxation of the workers, including me, and I was happy to pay it. I was earning a lot less than many people do today for most of my working life, and if the average wage now is £25,000ish, I still get a lot less than that.

Don't understand your reasoning on this. Health care has always been paid for from the taxation of the workers, including me, and I was happy to pay it. I was earning a lot less than many people do today for most of my working life, and if the average wage now is £25,000ish, I still get a lot less than that.

What reasoning is not clear. The increase in cost is due to the elderly. The over 65s have the most disposable income & they have the most wealth.

And yes average wages have increased. But either wilfully or neglectfully a situation has been engineered over the last 30 years where a much larger portion of those wages are swallowed in costs like rent. Largely, and probably not specifically in either of our personal cases, those costs are much, much higher than for previous generations.

I'm not blaming anyone Anna but when you come up with obviously bad statements like we are more taxed than ever it's never going to help.

Most other European countries either tax the populace a lot, or you pay for some health services - or more likely you do both. Personally I think the way we access the NHS is wrong because people have an overwheliming sense of entitlement - I've paid for it therefore I'll use it. One way stopping that is going to be a charge for visiting the GP - lets try that and perhaps sweeten the pill by reducing prescription charges? Sometheing for sure needs to be done.

What reasoning is not clear. The increase in cost is due to the elderly. The over 65s have the most disposable income & they have the most wealth.

And yes average wages have increased. But either wilfully or neglectfully a situation has been engineered over the last 30 years where a much larger portion of those wages are swallowed in costs like rent. Largely, and probably not specifically in either of our personal cases, those costs are much, much higher than for previous generations.

I don't understand your argument either.Are you arguing for private health care where your available treatment is governed by your wealth.

We already pay into the NHS according to our income whatever our age,and have use of the facilities,hopefully,according to our needs.

It's a very needed form of insurance and if the premiums need to be higher then the wealthiest should contribute more through their taxation.

It's not just the elderly who need care.Collectively we have to pay for children,the unemployed etc,as well as ourselves.

Well done on quoting skewed soundbites from a blog, I'll take it you believe everything you read, but think you have much to learn. This is Sheffield forum and Sheffield is still predominantly working class, those wealthy pensioners you keep harping on about don't live in this city in any great numbers I can assure you, and even fewer read the economist !