Failed housing policy?

Theresa May set to announce major shift in housing policy to deliver more ‘affordable rental homes’.

Our broken housing market is one of the greatest barriers in Britain today. It doesn’t matter if you buy or rent, housing is increasingly un-affordable for people who work hard but are struggling to get by.

https://www.conservatives.com/sharethefacts/2017/02/fixing-our-housing-market

I guess its good that the Conservatives are admitting that their previous policies have failed, and led to sky high prices.

QE, helping people to buy and the lack of house building, both private and public, failed policies?

What will future policies be, what will it lead to, a price crash?

I haven't heard any opposition parties get hold of this, what a shower.

Theresa May set to announce major shift in housing policy to deliver more ‘affordable rental homes’.

Our broken housing market is one of the greatest barriers in Britain today. It doesn’t matter if you buy or rent, housing is increasingly un-affordable for people who work hard but are struggling to get by.

https://www.conservatives.com/sharethefacts/2017/02/fixing-our-housing-market

I guess its good that the Conservatives are admitting that their previous policies have failed, and led to sky high prices.

QE, helping people to buy and the lack of house building, both private and public, failed policies?

I haven't heard any opposition parties get hold of this, what a shower.

I was going to participate, but since you seem to be starting out by attacking the Conservatives even though Labour have been in office for much of the problem period in housing supply, I shan't bother.

I was going to participate, but since you seem to be starting out by attacking the Conservatives even though Labour have been in office for much of the problem period in housing supply, I shan't bother.

The Conservatives are the ones that are changing their policy, and Labour dont have any policies to change, although it is "a top priority" ;)

My house shot up in value from £56,000 in 2000 to £140,000 five years later.

Who was in power during that time?

The Conservatives carried on from Labour, I would imagine that the Tories egged it more.

Although I'm not a Tory, I'm glad that the Government are looking at strengthening tenant's rights. This is welcome, as Tenants are usually all but forgotten about.

Incidentally did anyone see Newsnight last night? Interesting housing experiments in Jersey which prioritise those already settled in the community over second home owners. Could put a cat amongst the pigeons - but that is to be welcomed as the country has so many 'buy to forget' homes.

Watch it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08dx3lz

Edited by Mister M

Who actually benefits from rising house prices? Genuine question because I can't work it out.

Let's say I want to use some of my lovely equity up and move to a more expensive house. And if my house has doubled in value then it's likely the bigger house has gone up by a similar ratio. So my £100k is now worth £200k, but the bigger house has gone from £150k to £300k in the same time frame so I've actually lost out relatively by £50k (dodgy maths I know).

A small benefit to me of rising prices if I stay where I am is a lower mortgage rate as my security is better due to more equity, but that's not a massive amount.

V few people are going to be selling up and not needing to buy another property or rent somewhere, so I really do not understand this culture of 'wanting' house prices to rise well above inflation. It just seems like madness.

I'm an accidental landlord (property bought with ex, all got messy and complicated) but I would support huge taxes or even a 'ban' of some sort on second home ownership if it would help to stop above inflation house price growth.

---------- Post added 08-02-2017 at 16:42 ----------

I'm not sure what that data shows? That when aligned to inflation house prices went absolutely mental between 2000-2007 but have actually calmed down a bit now?

Edited by sgtkate

Who actually benefits from rising house prices? Genuine question because I can't work it out.

Let's say I want to use some of my lovely equity up and move to a more expensive house. And if my house has doubled in value then it's likely the bigger house has gone up by a similar ratio. So my £100k is now worth £200k, but the bigger house has gone from £150k to £300k in the same time frame so I've actually lost out relatively by £50k (dodgy maths I know).

A small benefit to me of rising prices if I stay where I am is a lower mortgage rate as my security is better due to more equity, but that's not a massive amount.

V few people are going to be selling up and not needing to buy another property or rent somewhere, so I really do not understand this culture of 'wanting' house prices to rise well above inflation. It just seems like madness.

I'm an accidental landlord (property bought with ex, all got messy and complicated) but I would support huge taxes or even a 'ban' of some sort on second home ownership if it would help to stop above inflation house price growth.

---------- Post added 08-02-2017 at 16:42 ----------

I'm not sure what that data shows? That when aligned to inflation house prices went absolutely mental between 2000-2007 but have actually calmed down a bit now?

Obviously the people at the top and those who can invest.

The thing that kicked off the whole housing situation was down to Thatcher and selling off the swathes of council housing.