High storrs boys grammar school 1954 to1961

I went from 1951 to 1956.I remember headteacher George Mack really well,he was quite intimidating.Deputy head Mr Griffin was also pretty fierce.My biggest dislike was the geography teacher"baby face" Taylor,we never saw eye to eye,and he ended up slinging me out of his class permanently.

There's already an extensive thread on "Anybody go to High Storrs" with over 200 posts that might jog a few memories for you.

I was there from 59 to 65.

Started in 1athen declined to 2c,3c etc.

Had Mr Taylor as form teacher one year and found him ok...but I do remember that he kept a short length of climbing rope in his cupboard to administer his favoured form of punishment.

Others favoured the cane or gym shoes.

I sharedSuggers thoughts on Monty,particularly in retrospect.

Sorry soft 'aporth, quite right, Les thurlbeck was biology teacher (had a 'senior moment'). Do you remember also 'Monty',p.e. master, i was never too sure about him!

I hated Monty. He blew cigarette smoke in kids' faces, played noughts and crosses on their bare chests with his finger nail, flicked his key ring at kids' bare chests, and once gave me a black eye (closed fist, seriously) for being late for school. My dad reported him to George Mack for doing that but it was all hushed up. As far as I'm concerned, he was a sadist.....and they say never to speak ill of the dead?