Effects of Brexit on travel / holidays to Europe

Let`s be honest, most changes of government don`t directly affect most people. Brexit is different and one of the most obvious aspects is in European travel, something most of us do. This thread is about the possible problems when we go away on holiday or travel to Europe, what might happen and how we can mitigate the unfortunate implications.

Can anyone think of any in addition to these :

Visas etc. Will we need visas ? And, if not will we have to fill in landing cards every time we travel to another country in Europe ? This occurred to me whilst we were travelling back from a non European country and landing cards had to be filled in by all non UK or non EU residents. We had to fill them out travelling in the other direction and I can tell you it was a PITA, made worse by the fact that if you made a mistake you had to fill out a new one !

Customs. At the moment there are effectively no customs controls between EU countries. We go on the ferry each year to Rotterdam and buy four or five hundred pounds worth of wine. That lasts us the year and saves us up to £200. Will we go back to a maximum of two bottles like it used to be in the bad old days ?

EHICs (European Health Insurance Card) / medical insurance. Will the EHIC no longer be available ? It is handy, I used mine a few years ago in Portugal despite the fact we had travel insurance. It was simpler and didn`t involve then having to tell future insurers you`d claimed in the past. An additional problem is that (according to my travel agent) "most insurers advise that an EHIC card is now a requirement of your insurance cover". I assume it`s because they limit claims that way. One assumes that no EHIC card then means higher insurance premiums, is that the case ?

The above, by the way, illustrates perfectly why many people will not "just get over it" when we leave the EU. Every time we go abroad and are limited in what we can bring back, or have to fill out a landing card (and feel like an alien (as in the US Immigration definition)) will remind us what we`ve lost.

All of the above, a cheap price to pay to be rid of the corrupt EU.

Angel1

Let`s be honest, most changes of government don`t directly affect most people. Brexit is different and one of the most obvious aspects is in European travel, something most of us do. This thread is about the possible problems when we go away on holiday or travel to Europe, what might happen and how we can mitigate the unfortunate implications.

Can anyone think of any in addition to these :

Visas etc. Will we need visas ? And, if not will we have to fill in landing cards every time we travel to another country in Europe ? This occurred to me whilst we were travelling back from a non European country and landing cards had to be filled in by all non UK or non EU residents. We had to fill them out travelling in the other direction and I can tell you it was a PITA, made worse by the fact that if you made a mistake you had to fill out a new one !

Customs. At the moment there are effectively no customs controls between EU countries. We go on the ferry each year to Rotterdam and buy four or five hundred pounds worth of wine. That lasts us the year and saves us up to £200. Will we go back to a maximum of two bottles like it used to be in the bad old days ?

EHICs (European Health Insurance Card) / medical insurance. Will the EHIC no longer be available ? It is handy, I used mine a few years ago in Portugal despite the fact we had travel insurance. It was simpler and didn`t involve then having to tell future insurers you`d claimed in the past. An additional problem is that (according to my travel agent) "most insurers advise that an EHIC card is now a requirement of your insurance cover". I assume it`s because they limit claims that way. One assumes that no EHIC card then means higher insurance premiums, is that the case ?

The above, by the way, illustrates perfectly why many people will not "just get over it" when we leave the EU. Every time we go abroad and are limited in what we can bring back, or have to fill out a landing card (and feel like an alien (as in the US Immigration definition)) will remind us what we`ve lost.

What will be will be, your worrying won't change anything.

Have confidence in our representatives and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Am i the only one getting fed up of all these anti brexit threads one after the other.Brexit is going to happen and moaning all the time is not going to change anything.Keep calm and carry on ,its not the end of the world.Life goes on.Chill.

All of the above, a cheap price to pay to be rid of the corrupt EU.

Angel1

Where did you read that, the Daily Mail or the Daily Express ? If so it`s probably not worth quoting, much less believing......

Second question, if you don`t mind, how often do you travel abroad ?

They`re just theories of mine I`d like to research, so, honest answers please.

---------- Post added 09-02-2017 at 21:39 ----------

Am i the only one getting fed up of all these anti brexit threads one after the other.Brexit is going to happen and moaning all the time is not going to change anything.Keep calm and carry on ,its not the end of the world.Life goes on.Chill.

Oh I`m definitely anti Brexit, but this thread is about a bit more than that. I`d like to know some more about what`s planned, and what we can do to avoid it.

What will be will be, your worrying won't change anything.

Have confidence in our representatives and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Do you honestly have any faith or confidence in this lot that have set themselves up as the government.

They are only in place because no one else wanted the job.

They are the most useless shower ever to call themselves a government.

Where did you read that, the Daily Mail or the Daily Express ? If so it`s probably not worth quoting, much less believing......

Oh I`m definitely anti Brexit, but this thread is about a bit more than that. I`d like to know some more about what`s planned, and what we can do to avoid it.

You won't find out on here. Ask your MP.

it should not be happening though.

It all started due to a spat between Cameron and Johnson, and has ended up knackering the country.

You cant avoid it,all the votes are going through parliament without any amendments and i fully expect the house of lords to pass it.The snp and the lib dems do not have enough firepower to change any aspects of it and labour will let it go as well.Jeremy Corbyn really wanted brexit so he is not going to block anything.

Do you honestly have any faith or confidence in this lot that have set themselves up as the government.

They are only in place because no one else wanted the job.

They are the most useless shower ever to call themselves a government.

What biased incorrect statements !

We have a real leader(Terrific Theresa) in charge and other intelligent ladies and gentlemen who do their best to serve our country and it's citizens.

We are lucky to have such people.