Effects of Brexit on travel / holidays to Europe

Oh I`m definitely anti Brexit, but this thread is about a bit more than that. I`d like to know some more about what`s planned, and what we can do to avoid it.

What's planned.. we don't know as A50 has yet to be triggered and then the detail of leaving will be up for discussion, including travel and customs when visiting an EU country. IMHO its too premature to worry and second guess what may or may not happen in the next 2 years or so. The government are the ones charged with the task so maybe we will know better in a year or so.

What can you do to avoid it.. that depends on what you want to avoid and whether you can avoid it.

Am i the only one getting fed up of all these anti brexit threads one after the other.Brexit is going to happen and moaning all the time is not going to change anything.Keep calm and carry on ,its not the end of the world.Life goes on.Chill.

Its not an anti-Brexit thread, its about what will happen.

Will we be the pariahs in the EU? We foreigners be glad to see us leave, or are we likely to be seen as the country that destroyed the EU?

Its not an anti-Brexit thread, its about what will happen.

Will we be the pariahs in the EU? We foreigners be glad to see us leave, or are we likely to be seen as the country that destroyed the EU?

Does it matter ,nothing can be changed now.Thats my point,why keep discussing something that cannot be changed.Nobody knows what will happen,i am actually looking forward to it,a new start and i am quite happy at being out of the comfort zone and into a brave new world.

Does it matter ,nothing can be changed now.Thats my point,why keep discussing something that cannot be changed.Nobody knows what will happen,i am actually looking forward to it,a new start and i am quite happy at being out of the comfort zone and into a brave new world.

I will be glad when we are out, and its all over.

Visas etc. Will we need visas ?
Depends on what May and the EU27 negotiate.

For holiday purposes, it may not be anything more complicated than a Turkey-style "show up and get a passport stamp", or a US-style electronic registration.

But as May wants an end to freedom of movement, for which reciprocity can only be expected, then for residence and work (what freedom of movement is really about), in all likelihood, yes.

You just want to hope it's nothing as remotely complex as the current UK system for non-EU citizens. But then, since neither May nor (the majority of-) MPs want to give any guarantees for EU nationals yet, I don't expect any special treatment or favours for EU nationals - and reciprocally from the EU about Brits there, of course.

Customs. At the moment there are effectively no customs controls between EU countries. We go on the ferry each year to Rotterdam and buy four or five hundred pounds worth of wine. That lasts us the year and saves us up to £200. Will we go back to a maximum of two bottles like it used to be in the bad old days ?
May wants to exit the Customs Union, and restricting personal import ratios from the EU (relative to the current 'no limit') should benefit both the Treasury (excise duties) and Brexit-backing drinks promoters like Tim Martin, besides instilling a bit of life support for the British tobacco industry.

So going back to personal import restrictions, e.g. as currently in place for <other destinations than the EU>, is pretty much a certainty.

EHICs (European Health Insurance Card) / medical insurance. Will the EHIC no longer be available ?
Deffo. The EHIC is an EU scheme. UK exits the EU, therefore no EHIC for UK citizens no more.

The above is simple logic, your mileage may vary in dependence on negotiations over the 2 years.

Next? :)

Edited by L00b

For holiday purposes, it may not be anything any more complicated than a Turkey-style "show up and get a passport stamp", or a US-style electronic registration.

But for residence and work, in all likelihood, yes.

You just want to hope it's nothing as remotely complex as the current UK system for non-EU citizens.

If not, well, hey, you wanted it (or not), you've got it (regardless :D) :thumbsup:

Yes, in all likelihood you will go back to personal import restrictions, e.g. as currently in place for <other destinations than the EU>.

Deffo. The EHIC is an EU scheme. UK exits the EU, therefore no EHIC for UK citizens no more.

The above is simple logic, your mileage may vary in dependence on negotiations over the 2 years.

The fact is, the vast majority of people did not want it.

The only people you hear extolling its virtues are the UKIP types, (under the disguise of the tories), and these, as usual are the noisiest and most strident.

Those that did vote to leave were misled into it.

it was a protest vote gone wrong.

As the reality sets in, they will regret their foolishness.

The fact is, the vast majority of people did not want it.

The only people you hear extolling its virtues are the UKIP types, (under the disguise of the tories), and these, as usual are the noisiest and most strident.

Those that did vote to leave were misled into it.

it was a protest vote gone wrong.

As the reality sets in, they will regret their foolishness.

That's all as may be, Jacktari. But what's done is done, and it's far too late to back out, so that's that.

Far from me to want to play the thread police or to backseat mod, but this thread is not the place to discuss the merits of Brexit or not. It's a pragmatic (if forecast/predictive) one about UK<>EU travel and holidays from 2019 onwards (which is why I decided, a bit late, to edit out the bit which you boldened before I saved the edited post) :)

What biased incorrect statements !

We have a real leader(Terrific Theresa) in charge and other intelligent ladies and gentlemen who do their best to serve our country and it's citizens.

We are lucky to have such people.

I couldn`t disagree with you more, in fact I`m so disillusioned I`ve lost all sense of patriotism for this country, not that the Brexit lot (which appear to be the government of this country at the moment) care a toss. But I`m resisting the temptation to argue with you because this thread is supposed to be about Brexit related travel issues.

---------- Post added 10-02-2017 at 10:08 ----------

For holiday purposes, it may not be anything more complicated than a Turkey-style "show up and get a passport stamp", or a US-style electronic registration.

But as May wants an end to freedom of movement, for which reciprocity can only be expected, then for residence and work (what freedom of movement is really about), in all likelihood, yes.

You just want to hope it's nothing as remotely complex as the current UK system for non-EU citizens. But then, since neither May nor (the majority of-) MPs want to give any guarantees for EU nationals yet, I don't expect any special treatment or favours for EU nationals - and reciprocally from the EU about Brits there, of course.

May wants to exit the Customs Union, and restricting personal import ratios from the EU (relative to the current 'no limit') should benefit both the Treasury (excise duties) and Brexit-backing drinks promoters like Tim Martin, besides instilling a bit of life support for the British tobacco industry.

So going back to personal import restrictions, e.g. as currently in place for <other destinations than the EU>, is pretty much a certainty.

Hooray, at last, what we should be discussing on here......

That's all as may be, Jacktari. But what's done is done, and it's far too late to back out, so that's that.

Far from me to want to play the thread police or to backseat mod, but this thread is not the place to discuss the merits of Brexit or not. It's a pragmatic (if forecast/predictive) one about UK<>EU travel and holidays from 2019 onwards (which is why I decided, a bit late, to edit out the bit which you boldened before I saved the edited post) :)

This a major problem in fact, for me at any rate.

I want to buy property, and live part time in the Canary Islands.

If we have to put our plans on hold until next decade, it will probably be too late.

This guessing game about what is to happen is farcical.

For an event as great as this, all the plans should have been sorted out in advance, and programs laid out for the future.

Then it should have gone to the vote.

This has been sprung on everyone with no advanced warning, to travel merchants, as well as travellers.

All the considerations have been made for big business, and non for the individual person.