Would you take in an homeless person if you had a spare room?

Absolutely not, everyday i would fear that they would ruin your house and rob you blind. Nowadays,i have found that helping other people often comes back to bite you...even so called friends. It is the councils responsibility to re home them, if they were and lost it, what does that tell you ? There are alot of empty homes in Sheffield, the council just leave them like that for ages, so despite what they may say, the council either dont care, or dont want the hassle.

or dont have the money

I've often thought about this as we have 3 spare bedrooms and I've many times wondered about offering a room to a homeless person with a dog (as I know some places don't let people in who have dogs), and I love dogs and spend many hours worrying about the ones living outside, however I've then also wondered how this is policed and monitored because you wouldn't have a clue about the person you were letting into your home and how they would treat your home and yourself.

It is a difficult one, but would be nice to know how many people would be helped if we felt safe and comfortable doing this.

I have a spare room, but I also like having it, as it can be used fore occasional family visits.

I am thinking about putting a room in the loft and registering with spareroom.com

Anyone with a spare room can make £300 per month, there is no reason to be skint/lonely when you have a spare room.

I guess the question should be, would you do it for nothing, for month on end.

Good point....and what about all those rich luvvies, the Celebs who were going to take in refugees:roll:

Just like those Cambridge University students that burn £20 notes in front of the faces of the homeless:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cambridge-university-student-homeless-man-burn-20-pound-note-video-night-out-a7572731.html

Like something out of American Psycho :suspect:

Is it?

Are there any rights that a guest normally gets?

I don't think there are. Even lodgers (as opposed to tenants) get very few rights.

Thats the thing, I don't know and imagine it can get very complicated once you allow someone to use your address as their address.

True, and obviously normal household bills would increase with more people living there. However I guess having an address would then allow the person to get a job, a bank account etc.

The other issue would be the legalities of what rights would that person obtain to your property, what would happen if you decided you wanted them to move out etc. It's certainly a tricky one!

There are no legalities and they have no rights. It is clear. If you wanted them to move then they would leave or you could ask them to leave if not then you could ask the police to help.

Thats the thing, I don't know and imagine it can get very complicated once you allow someone to use your address as their address.

Well, I already answered part of the question for you. Lodgers get very little in the way of rights. So a lodger who isn't even paying to lodge, pretty much no rights.

A student at Cambridge University has been filmed burning a £20 note in front of an homeless man .

It seems as though members of the Bullingdon club are encouraged to this behaviour as a initiation to membership , Boris Johnson and David Cameron are well known past members.

The new recruit is reported to be a relation of Nicola Sturgeon the Scottish first minister.

Perhaps he qualifies for Chav status or is that just for lads on council estates.