Would you take in an homeless person if you had a spare room?

Which makes it all the worse that on of the G7 nations (ie us, one of the 7 richest countries on the planet) has decided that we can't possibly take any more child refugees, they should probably just try to fend for themselves and we'll sleep okay by not thinking about them.

I wouldn't.

It is the government's job to provide for the homeless.

Charity, as well as being demeaning to its recipients, is a form of taxation.

We pay enough, or should be made to pay enough, direct tax to cover all eventualities.

Which makes it all the worse that on of the G7 nations (ie us, one of the 7 richest countries on the planet) has decided that we can't possibly take any more child refugees, they should probably just try to fend for themselves and we'll sleep okay by not thinking about them.

If you watch that programme you'll probably come round to thinking that taking child refugees (and Kemp really only dealt with refugees coming from sub-saharan africa) you'll see it as a very small drop in a very big ocean. Of course we should take child refugees in but it will a continous problem (which may well increase) unless we start talking about the route cause of it all.

It's a hard question. All of us have different answers. I fear the aspect of "drug & alcohol" dependency that is reported would sway me to a no answer. But I wonder if it was me? I only drink a couple of times a year would I turn to the drink? I will just keep donating to the charity of my choice. It's not much but every little helps.

I think the majority of homeless who have drink/drugs problems are homeless for that reason, rather than turning to drink/drugs because they're homeless.

That's certainly the case with an old friend of mine, and despite being an old friend there's no way I'd let him live in my spare room. It'd just descend into a doss house for him and his mates to hang around and take drugs/drinks in like all his previous accommodations did.

been there done that, back in the day

Could you share your experience for us and the way it was organised or not as the case may be.

---------- Post added 23-02-2017 at 20:58 ----------

Absolutely not, everyday i would fear that they would ruin your house and rob you blind. Nowadays,i have found that helping other people often comes back to bite you...even so called friends. It is the councils responsibility to re home them, if they were and lost it, what does that tell you ? There are alot of empty homes in Sheffield, the council just leave them like that for ages, so despite what they may say, the council either dont care, or dont want the hassle.

The council have to use certain criteria for housing people many homeless people come low on the priority list until they have defined health needs. The also need to be free of council rents debt to be rehoused, and of course a suitable property has to be available . single bedroom not reserved for someone with a physical impairment and special access need etc.

---------- Post added 23-02-2017 at 21:13 ----------

I have a spare room, but I also like having it, as it can be used fore occasional family visits.

I am thinking about putting a room in the loft and registering with spareroom.com

Anyone with a spare room can make £300 per month, there is no reason to be skint/lonely when you have a spare room.

I guess the question should be, would you do it for nothing, for month on end.

That is patently not true. you obviously not tried to let a room. People expect a high standard of accommodation for their rent and there is a lot to consider when letting a room. Council tax, insurance, water and energy use, sharing a washing machine, Laundry arrangements, Kitchen, cooking, fridge freezer, dietary needs, dish washer/sink bathroom use, storage space, noise, visitors. Car parking space might be an issue, can they use the garden your TV radio Cd Player DVD or other equipment. Will they provide thier own and create noise at hours that you need quiet will you create noise when they need to be quiet? Do you normally keep some cash in the house or have jewelery, will you put a lock on doors that you do not want opened. How much privacy have you been accustomed to. will this incomer respect your privacy will you feel entitled to breach theirs will they have a permanent room, if so they have tenants rights unless you are providing a hotel type arrangement. That is just for starters of the top of my head.

---------- Post added 23-02-2017 at 21:17 ----------

Squatters rights are to do with people squatting. An invited guest or a lodger is not a squatter and gains no rights.

If you let someone stay in your spare room, you are not a landlord and you have the power to very rapidly get rid of them.

Lodgers, squatters and tenants are all different things and get different rights.

Except when they refuse to move and become in effect a squatter until a court rules one way or the other.

A guest that refuses to leave is not a squatter. Not in any court, ever. If you have a friend visit and they refuse to leave, you can use reasonable force to eject them, or phone the police as they are trespassing.

Edit - also a lodger never gains any tenant rights. Squatters, lodgers and tenants, all different things.