Should there be a ban on Children heading the ball?

Read the headline on the BBC, asking should there be a ban on under 10's heading the ball?

I've not really looked into the evidence of what it does to people, but if there's a link between any conditions such as brain damage or memory problems, then there's got to be a case.

What's others opinions?

I think it is all getting pretty ridiculous. Wrapping kids up in cotton-wool is going to teach them to be suspect of any physical activities. As an 8 year old I started going to Judo. I came home every day with a headache (from the impact on the mat) and really didn't like it. After a month or two I switched to a different sport. Kids can make that sort of decision for themselves.

In football I enjoyed heading the ball, but if my head hurt (usually cause we played the morning after going out...) I'd simply chest it down instead. The UK is increasingly becoming a nanny-state: Do this, don't do that, ask permission for such and so.

The sooner that children are taught how to head a ball properly,with the forehead the better.

Even when the old leather case balls were in use if you headed the ball properly it didn't hurt,if it hit you on the top of your head it did..

Even in the 50s and 60s we rarely used a case ball in our kick abouts.More usually anything from a tennis ball to a Frido rubber ball.

The modern football is so much lighter than the old balls.

The sooner that children are taught how to head a ball properly,with the forehead the better.

Even when the old leather case balls were in use if you headed the ball properly it didn't hurt,if it hit you on the top of your head it did..

Even in the 50s and 60s we rarely used a case ball in our kick abouts.More usually anything from a tennis ball to a Frido rubber ball.

The modern football is so much lighter than the old balls.

I guess this has something to do with the longer term impact on the brain, rather than the short term pain of not heading the ball correctly.

Back to the OP, if it has been proven that heading the ball over a prolonged period does cause damage then yes, it should be banned.

I guess this has something to do with the longer term impact on the brain, rather than the short term pain of not heading the ball correctly.

Back to the OP, if it has been proven that heading the ball over a prolonged period does cause damage then yes, it should be banned.

Yes, all the above posts have valid points. It does appear to be focusing on the long term impact. I suppose you can look at it both ways...

Perhaps kids should be coached more on how to head the ball... that said, more research needs to be done.

In response to kids being wrapped in cotton wool? Yes I think so. We've got to be careful we don't create a culture of soft people.

I want to resist the "it weren't like this in my day" but I've notice kids are becoming a little soft... BUT I don't blame them.

Back to the original question... should there be a ban? No, at least not yet!

On the coaching aspect... yes I certainly think kids should focus on the passing, like they do in Europe.

i could be mistaken but i have the impression that a main concern is that an under 10's neck "muscles(?)" aren't sufficiently developed for heading the ball.

it really ought to be all about technical with ball at feet, coervers, change of direction, 1 v 1 's and some 3 v 3 to finish the session at that age.

if i see my kids u-10 coach working on heading exercises i'd be tempted to have a quiet word, find my kid another team, or suggest another coach for the team.

i've seen some kids who look quite like "natural" headers of the ball at that age ... but to make it in any way a focus of training ... nah. not for me.

Yes, all the above posts have valid points. It does appear to be focusing on the long term impact. I suppose you can look at it both ways...

Perhaps kids should be coached more on how to head the ball... that said, more research needs to be done.

In response to kids being wrapped in cotton wool? Yes I think so. We've got to be careful we don't create a culture of soft people.

I want to resist the "it weren't like this in my day" but I've notice kids are becoming a little soft... BUT I don't blame them.

Back to the original question... should there be a ban? No, at least not yet!

On the coaching aspect... yes I certainly think kids should focus on the passing, like they do in Europe.

Interesting article here about the subject:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/24/study-finds-heading-football-immediate-effect-brain

Well worth a read.

If they were playing with footballs, there may be something in this.

But they play football these days with something akin to a plastic beach ball.

That is why it is in the air so much.

When the game of football was something to be admired, we played with leather case balls, inflated with a bladder, and laced up with leather strings.

It was not easy to loft them in the air so much.

That is why the game is called 'football' and not 'headball'

When they were wet through they were akin to a cannonball in their force.

Let the boys play at football or whatever game, and stop mollycoddling them.

Edited by Jacktari