Driving problems!!

Except on A-roads with long straights where others are likely to overtake, cities where other road-users could use a stronger visual indication of what traffic is where, motorways where guessing distances at split second decisions is rather useful and most of all - where running headlights during the day has NEVER caused a single accident to anybody at all...

The case FOR running daylight running lights trumps the case AGAINST by a factor of... infinite to nil.

Fuel economy. It costs energy to run those lights.

However with new LED's that's been put to bed.

I've read this thread now and no one seems to have even thought about road uses who don't have massive shiny lights on. Pedestrians? Are we seriously saying that we are such terrible drivers that we can't see a car without headlights on during the day but yet can still see a child about to run out into the road who doesn't have a belisha beacon strapped to his head?

What an odd point to make? That is a bit like saying we shouldn't use Antivirus on Windows computers because people on Macs don't either.

Fuel economy. It costs energy to run those lights.

However with new LED's that's been put to bed.

Correct and that is a minor consideration as it does not harm fuel economy majorly anyway.

What an odd point to make? That is a bit like saying we shouldn't use Antivirus on Windows computers because people on Macs don't either.

I don't think it is an odd point. If you put headlights on cars all the time then they stand out more. Fair enough. But if something stands out more then almost be definition other things stand out less. So a pedestrian with no lights on will be harder to see if all the cars have lights on. Does that make more sense?

I don't think it is an odd point. If you put headlights on cars all the time then they stand out more. Fair enough. But if something stands out more then almost be definition other things stand out less. So a pedestrian with no lights on will be harder to see if all the cars have lights on. Does that make more sense?

OK, I get that line of thought and I suppose it is a fair one, still - a good driver knows to look out for other road users anyway. To be fair, compared to the Dutch the Brits are pretty bad at it, but give it time (one can live in hope).

The arguments for and against DRL are well noted above... as well as the large evidence in favour of them.

Getting people to put their lights on at the correct time is the problem; what time do you guys put your lights on, or do you have them on all the time?

Getting people to put their lights on at the correct time is the problem; what time do you guys put your lights on, or do you have them on all the time?

I put my lights on about six years ago when I first got my current car. The car does it all for me - DRL and then headlamps when needed... auto lights are great.

I got so sick to death of the Landrover beeping at me about lights I built a control module for that so it does it for me now. Switches them on and off as needed.