Priority boarding for a flight.

Have just been looking for flights and you can pay £12 for priority boarding which gets you on the plane first. What happens if by some chance 75% of passengers booked priority boarding, how do they decide who is first if everyone is at the gate to board?

Mods change the title please to boarding not booking.

Have just been looking for flights and you can pay £12 for priority boarding which gets you on the plane first. What happens if by some chance 75% of passengers booked priority boarding, how do they decide who is first if everyone is at the gate to board?

Mods change the title please to boarding not booking.

Good thought. ;)

It is worth it though, you do get on and get your bags through first.

The daggers stares of the others can be nearly fatal though. :cool:

If you have to walk from the gate to the aircraft - forget it ! If you are of a certain age you'll be overtaken by young people in the scramble to get on board and the competition for getting your cabin bag over, or at least near, to your seat. Bit different if it's an Air Bridge....but you usually don't know this in advance. Also if you've paid for a seat in rows 1,2 or 3 the lockers in that area are usually full of crew 'stuff'

Don't pay !

Unless you want to feel special but without the VIP treatment then go ahead and book priority boarding. I've never used it and me, my family and my baggage has always taken off and landed at the same time as those that have. And I've spent a little less time in the cramped confines of the aircraft :P

No, but on planes like Ryan Air you can be sure you'll have somewhere to put your bag.

IIRC if you get on and can't find any space you have to pay to put it in the hold??

To answer your question Ryanair have limited space for cabin bags and once the limit has been reached as long as the bag is cabin size they put it in the hold for free. I know this because I purposefully go toward the back of the queue since although I like to fly I would rather not be sat waiting and don't need to bag anything to take on the plane.

IIRC if you get on and can't find any space you have to pay to put it in the hold??

They'll put it in the hold for free if there is no room, they usually go through the queue before boarding asking if anyone wants to put their case in the hold for free (if they determine that there might not be enough space).

Priority boarding does seem less useful these days as most airlines allocate seats at check in so there isn't the old mad rush of people trying to sit with each other.