Water in car radiator?

Which may have been true for a thirty year old car...

Some antifreezes are not compatible with each other nor with the seals in the car. Put the wrong coolant in and you can get gel forming, leaks all over the place and a worn pump bearings....

In a hard water area you do need deinonised water. It's dirt cheap - £2 for five litres which is all you will ever need to fill it up.

Totally agree .

A drop of water into an already up to strength cooling system won't hurt it in the slightest, other than slightly raising the freezing point, soft water and deionised water preferred. Also coolant will evaporate in expansion tanks so the level dropping overtime is not a cause for concern.

If the coolant was already a 50/50 mix, I would just keep my eye on the level and take it from there. Obviously depending on how much water was put in.

Edited by Dardandec

Thanks for replies, getting JB Autos to have a look, possible leak, I have become aware little issues can become big ones in automotive land.

---------- Post added 17-02-2017 at 12:41 ----------

can someone recommend a decent anti-freeze, is the stuff from pound stretcher, etc ok?

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/antifreeze/halfords-oat-ready-mixed-antifreeze-2-litres

halfords mid range,m 12 pounds 2l

Edited by gamezone07