What was on the Grovsener Hotel site before the hotel was built?

Before the Grovsener House Hotel was built in 1966 at Charter Square what was on that site I'm guessing shops been near the Moor area?

The corner of Cambridge Street and Wellington Street was occupied -until 1963- by R.J. Stokes (Paint makers and suppliers) their entrance being where the 'Wapentake' entrance was. Further down Cambride Street was 'Nell's Bar and Restaurant' and the entrance to the 'Hippodome' but the theatre itself was a few yards inside the entrance, just about where the Grosvenor tower was. There had to premises on what became Charter Square and the hotel's main entrance(or Carver Lane) but cannot recall what. The old site was demolished in 1963, so there was a construction gap between then and 1964 when the 'Grosvenor' site was started.

Edited by stpetre
Add

It was a long time ago so my memory may not be correct but I think Backfields went all the way down to Moorhead opposite Furnival Street so the Grosvenor would be on the junction of Wellington Street and Backfields (town side) so no too far past the car on this image ------- http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s13185&pos=43&action=zoom&id=16068 ------ and on the left of this one ------------- http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;c02785&prevUrl=

Yes - here is a link to an old map. Click on the blue dot and drag to the left for a modern aerial view.

hiya yes you are right backfields went from division st in between a car showroom and in the next bock that housed applebaums bookshop,through wellington st to the moorhead.

60 years ago i remember working with an older man than me who had performed on stage at the hippodrome,his name was oliver marshman, his stagename was ollie marsh a song and dance act.