Paul Nuttall UKIP Leader - Billy Liar

I beg to disagree, politics is entirely about not being black and white. Across Sheffield there are disparities in what voters want. Some want better homes, schools and health care whereas others can pay for these themselves and want to pay as little into the public purse as they can get away with. Whichever party holds power has to cater for the extremes but mostly the middle ground.

You know your signature is a misleading sentence fragment right?

"the people of this country have had enough of experts from organizations with acronyms saying they know what is best and getting it consistently wrong."

On one occasion he was interrupted by Faisal from Sky in an interview and got cut off after the word "experts" and it is very clear that this is what happened if you watch the interview.

You could at least put in an ellipsis.

You know your signature is a misleading sentence fragment right?

"the people of this country have had enough of experts from organizations with acronyms saying they know what is best and getting it consistently wrong."

On one occasion he was interrupted by Faisal from Sky in an interview and got cut off after the word "experts" and it is very clear that this is what happened if you watch the interview.

You could at least put in an ellipsis.

To be frank I don`t think that is significantly different from "the people of this country have had enough of experts". What makes you think it is ? Most experts are from organisations, many of which have acronyms, but what relevance are the acronyms anyway ? As for the getting it wrong, yes people have had enough of experts who get it wrong, but what point is that supposed to be ? Even "experts" cannot be right all time.

Edited by Justin Smith

To be frank I don`t think that is significantly different from "the people of this country have had enough of experts". What makes you think it is ?

Anybody else having trouble seeing the difference?

---------- Post added 01-03-2017 at 15:16 ----------

To be frank I don`t think that is significantly different from "the people of this country have had enough of experts". What makes you think it is ? Most experts are from organisations, many of which have acronyms, but what relevance are the acronyms anyway ? As for the getting it wrong, yes people have had enough of experts who get it wrong, but what point is that supposed to be ? Even "experts" cannot be right all time.

You don't think there's value in calling out the grand economic experts who talk about their heavily assumption-laden model output as if it were a cast iron fact?

These are the same people who said that the ERM was essential and good for the UK, that we just had to join the EURO and who completely failed to foresee the 2008 crash.

Anybody else having trouble seeing the difference?

---------- Post added 01-03-2017 at 15:16 ----------

You don't think there's value in calling out the grand economic experts who talk about their heavily assumption-laden model output as if it were a cast iron fact?

These are the same people who said that the ERM was essential and good for the UK, that we just had to join the EURO and who completely failed to foresee the 2008 crash.

Oh I certainly do think so, but that`s not actually what he did is it ? Where does it mention economists in his infamous quote ? Everyone knows that there are more economic theories than there are economists, but the view of the majority is generally more or less correct. Who was it who predicted the £ would crash after the referendum result ? Were they economists ? Were they experts ?

Oh I certainly do think so, but that`s not actually what he did is it ? Where does it mention economists in his infamous quote ? Everyone knows that there are more economic theories than there are economists, but the view of the majority is generally more or less correct. Who was it who predicted the £ would crash after the referendum result ? Were they economists ? Were they experts ?

Context.

And everybody on both sides agreed that sterling would take a hit.

<...>

If you were to give the time of day to only one of them...then point your Google to Mr William White, ex-BIS and currently filling his retiree days part-timing at the OECD.

He predicted the 2008 crisis in 2003. And you won't like what he currently has to say (none of it about Brexit, I hasten to add).

If you were to give the time of day to only one of them...then point your Google to Mr William White, ex-BIS and currently filling his retiree days part-timing at the OECD.

He predicted the 2008 crisis in 2003. And you won't like what he currently has to say (none of it about Brexit, I hasten to add).

I can guess. We (the west) are in, if anything, even more of a mess with our financial system than pre-2008 and another (even worse) crash is all but inevitable?

I can guess. We (the west) are in, if anything, even more of a mess with our financial system than pre-2008 and another (even worse) crash is all but inevitable?
Correct.

But the simplistic take-away point grossly belies the complexity and accuracy of the reasoning that precedes it.

The complexity and accuracy of reasoning being the whole point of 'expertise'.

Correct.

But the simplistic take-away point grossly belies the complexity and accuracy of the reasoning that precedes it.

The complexity and accuracy of reasoning being the whole point of 'expertise'.

I'm sure that there are real experts out there who understand the limits of economics as a science and are able to give governments useful advice on policy. Trouble is they don't see to be the same people who are in charge of the IMF, the Treasury, the OBR, the IMF, the BoE etc etc.