Blair wants us to 'rise up against Brexit.'

As a matter is constitutional law it may be complicated. As a matter of principle it is exceedingly simple.

I'm not surprised at your continuous attempts to reduce the issue ab absurdum.

I therefore need to point out to you that 'principles' are neither law, nor constitutional.

Do I really need to explain the difference between a representative democracy and a direct democracy to you? (to be sure: granting a referendum, even if not advisory, does not amount to establishing a direct democracy; a direct democracy has no representatives but the people themselves, period).

The MPs voted to hold the referendum and gave their word to uphold the result in parliament. Now we expect them to do exactly that.
Can you substantiate the bit in bold? No trap, call it for my personal edification.

In my view, your argument only gives a get-out to the MPs who voted against holding the referendum. Which I'm more than happy to grant them.
'fraid not: there's no picking and choosing which MPs get what voting prerogatives when. They all get to debate and vote on each and every motion, regardless of what and how they voted previously, and regardless of the moral or principled choices open to them (which may influence their vote of course - but does not nullify it in the least). Edited by L00b

I'm not surprised at your continuous attempts to reduce the issue ab absurdum.

I therefore need to point out to you that 'principles' are neither law, nor constitutional.

Do I really need to explain the difference between a representative democracy and a direct democracy to you? (to be sure: granting a referendum, even if not advisory, does not amount to establishing a direct democracy; a direct democracy has no representatives but the people themselves, period).

Can you substantiate the bit in bold? No trap, call it for my personal edification.

'fraid not: there's no picking and choosing which MPs get what voting prerogatives when. They all get to debate and vote on each and every motion, regardless of what and how they voted previously, and regardless of the moral or principled choices open to them (which may influence their vote of course - but does not nullify it in the least).

We seem to do this a lot.

I want to talk about principle and you want to talk about law.

Trouble is that sometimes we're both right. Unless what I say parliament should do in principle is contrary to law, I'm not terribly interesting in debating what else they legally can do. I'm content to assume (when I don't just flat out agree) that you're right on these legalities.

I'm quite happy to forcefully criticise our MPs, acting legally or not, on matters of principle. Surely you cannot object to this?

About 35 percent of the voting public voted to remain.

How can that be construed as the will of the people?

So you are taking it upon yourselves to impose the will of just over a third of the voters, on the other two thirds?

This is a dangerous path you lot are leading the country down.

The leave group wouldn't know democracy if it smacked them in the face.

So you are taking it upon yourselves to impose the will of just over a third of the voters, on the other two thirds?

This is a dangerous path you lot are leading the country down.

The leave group wouldn't know democracy if it smacked them in the face.

So you are taking it upon yourself to impose the will of less than voted to leave on the other two thirds.

The majority was to leave that's democracy. So you think democracy is a dangerous path, very interesting.

---------- Post added 21-02-2017 at 17:21 ----------

My bad. .

That's OK.

Because abstentions are neutral.

Sorry is democracy new to you?

(sorry to interrupt the love in)

I think it is many peoples new toy.

I have never heard the word bandied about more than since last June.

They do not respect democracy at all, they are just using it as a stick with which to beat people.

And for that reason it is very difficult to respect them