Blair wants us to 'rise up against Brexit.'

And did Osborne re-regulate them? Given the opportunity, he chose not to.

Wasn't it Margaret Thatcher who de-regulated them in the 1980s? Which lead to the rise of the Yuppies with their Porsches, and our money worshipping, every-man-for-himself, consumer society.

My stepfather, the only father I have known, was the best judge of character I have ever known, but on a visit home just after Blair got in , I thought what the heck is wrong with him as he told me, , "this bloke is rubbish". Bear in mind, Blair was riding high worldwide , in popularity. I thought , maybe he is wrong this time. No way, he was spot on as always, bless him RIP

Edited by TORONTONY
add

Wasn't it Margaret Thatcher who de-regulated them in the 1980s? Which lead to the rise of the Yuppies with their Porsches, and our money worshipping, every-man-for-himself, consumer society.

No. Not at all.

There was a deregulation period back then, but not on the matters which are relevant. The banking sector ran quite nicely for decades afterwards until Brown got his hands on it.

and the tories did what about it ?:suspect:

In opposition, with no power to do anything directly?

They spoke out against it, loudly and repeatedly. Most notably and thoroughly in the 2008 "Economy Policy Review".

The author (John Redwood) highlights the relevant paragraphs here (as it is a rather long document):

http://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2015/06/14/responses-to-the-coming-crash-of-2008/

The report as a whole, on which Conservative opponents cleverly focus, is massively for deregulation. But on the key areas of banking regulation which allowed a massive financial crisis in the US to so critically damage the UK, they all but predict it and prescribe exactly what is needed to prevent it. In fact they describe exactly what has been done now to prevent it recurring.

No. Not at all.

There was a deregulation period back then, but not on the matters which are relevant. The banking sector ran quite nicely for decades afterwards until Brown got his hands on it.

Big Bang deregulation of the banks happened in 1986 on Thatcher's watch.

Big Bang deregulation of the banks happened in 1986 on Thatcher's watch.

you may be right thatcher wanted the populus indebted to the banks rarther than the state, hence right to buy, harder to strike, get people enslaved in relitive easy debt.

Teflon Townie Bliar and his buddy LORD Mandy (what a joke) Mandelson a match made in heaven, espousing the reasons NOT to exit the EU and rise up against Brexit. All we need now is the resurgence of Alastair Campbell and we have, not the dynamic duo but the dynamic trio.

Odds on that would haste our Brexit enormously, bring it on.

Angel1