William Anson's umbrella factory

Adeline

Hi

Does anyone remember William Anson's Works which was on the corner of Duke Street and Grafton Street? Nearly bang opposite The Library and The Baths?

---------- Post added 23-02-2017 at 16:24 ----------

Hi

Does anyone remember William Anson's Works which was on the corner of Duke Street and Grafton Street? Nearly bang opposite The Library and The Baths?

In the 70s the proprietor was Michael.J.Harrison. He employed many skilled women and men. One I remember, very vividly, was Enid. Also Dorothy Wagstaff (my 'Aunty Dorothy'), who had been working for the firm since she was 14. She was my Godmother. The firm had extended into silver and 'costume jewellery'. Also the firm had a dwindling number of shops; they comprised: one at the top of Fargate (from very early in the 20th Century - long gone - where Foot Locker is now), one where the old Sinclair's used to be on West Street, one in Chesterfield, called 'Bradwells', and more in maybe Glossop and Blackpool. My father's father's (John George Harrison) wife was in the Anson family. My Grandfather John George Harrison, Who served as an officer in WW1, had a sister called Kitty. I knew her as a name on Christmas cards as Aunty Kitty (Stokes).

Edited by Adeline

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Adeline,

Mine is only a vague connection to your posting but perhaps you might be interested as my aunt Mary Downing ( Anson ) and her sister Beatrice Anson had an interest in their fathers business. He was G.W.Anson of Broomhill. I remember my aunt talking about Kitty Stokes who was a friend and neighbour at Bents Road. I inherited various things including an umbrella from the shops, including something from Mrs Stokes. I believe Beatrice ran a shop which sold handbags etc. As all this took place so long ago I have forgotten the time factors involved and just how and where my relatives were involved. I would be interested to know more of John George Harrison & his wife. My father was christened with the forename Anson.

Hi Ansonian63,

Thank you for responding. My paternal Grandfather and Grandmother were John George Harrison and Adeline Harrison (Nee Cadman). They died before I was born. John George was an officer in WW1. When he came back from the war, he had to take care of his sister, Kitty (who later married into the Stokes family - the Sheffield tile people). John george was born in 1896 and died in 1960. He was from East Brightside, Sheffield. In 1921 John George married Adeline Cadman. They had two boys Mike (my dad) and Tony and they lived on Silverhill Rd, Ecclesall, and later on Totley Brook Road.

I suppose that either Mary or Beatrice must have married a man with the surname 'Harrison' - and that couple would be the parents of John George (and would be my paternal great grandparents). My father (Mike) took over the umbrella factory on Grafton Street sometime in the 40s.

When I was very small, the Umbrella factory invoices (with carbon paper dividing three layers) was topped with the title GW ANSON. My dad must have changed the name, because, in about 1974, I was given the task of sticking of sticking the new label(saying MJ HARRISON) over the the name GW ANSON on all the outgoing invoices. The business was shut down in about 1979.

Adeline

Thankyou for your reply my grandparents also lived at Silverhill Road (Paternal) Allen (Maternal) Leppington. Beatrice who ran the handbag and umbrella shop was a spinster and her sister Mary who lived at Hill Turrets Close married an accountant Frank Downing.My great grandfather G.W.Anson had a well known gentlemans hairdresser on Snig Hill where the Black Swan pub used to be, he worked hard and from there had other business interests.I lived in Ecclesall for a long time but have moved to the outskirts of Sheffield now.

• 3 years later...

Hi Adeline,

You may not read this as your post is an old one but I know your father`s umbrella factory.  I was a friend of your brother (AJH) in the early 70`s and have very fond memories of your family and family home.

I visited the factory one Christmas for a staff party which was a very jolly affair. It was like a step back in time, a bit Dickensian.

I remember the staff you mention in your post and I recall that they idolised your father and I think referred to him as Mr Michael.

I also remember the person that made jewellery and in fact still have one of his stainless steel and abalone rings.

Your mum ran a stall at Bakewell market and I sometimes helped out selling umbrellas, bags and and purses. 

Very happy memories.

• 6 months later...

Hi, 

I recently saw a message sent to me from 'John' re-my families umbrella factory off Duke street. I think John sent it ages ago in reply to Ia post I put on this site even more ages ago. I have the same site name and email. I don't know why I can't find the message. Can anyone help me?

21 hours ago, Adeline said:

Hi, 

I recently saw a message sent to me from 'John' re-my families umbrella factory off Duke street. I think John sent it ages ago in reply to Ia post I put on this site even more ages ago. I have the same site name and email. I don't know why I can't find the message. Can anyone help me?

Cant help on the query, but you may be interested in this from 1901.

Screenshot-20210211-094331.jpg

Just had a quick delve.. William Anson was born in Blythe, Notts in 1833...in 1871 a hairdresser by profession living at No 4 Stanley Street...by 1881 he was still on Stanley Street but now listed as an Umbrella maker.

He took a lease on premises in 1883 at 21 The Wicker and was still at that address in the 1930's.

Edited by sadbrewer

• 4 months later...

Hello fellow Ansonians,

Adeline, I might be late in the day with my post, but I just wanted to let you know that it appears that your grandfather, John George Harrison's mother was Lucy Harrison (née Anson). She was George Anson's sister. My g.g. grandfather was George Anson, so Lucy Harrison must have been my g.g.g.aunt. 

It appears that your grandfather didn't change his name, however I haven't yet found out Lucy's husband's full name yet. I'm pretty certain it will be found on the 1901 census return.

If I can be of further help, please say.

(Good evening Ansonian63! :)