Pub in High Street Sheffield - Now a Natwest bank

oap64

http://www.thestar.co.uk/retro/retro-sheffield-lost-pubs-crawl-1-7337202

We turn up on to High Street, keeping on the left we cross Change Alley and forgo the lure of the Kings Head Hotel that’s within eyeshot. Dickens stayed here on his visits to the town, Mr Hitler put paid to it in 1940. We enter the Bodega, supposedly built in 1682, renamed the George & Dragon (not after Mr Dawson and his wife) in 1904, another one lost in 1940, damned war!

We enter the Bay Childers at no 48. Opened in 1761, it stood roughly where Mulberry Street meets High Street.

By 1774 it was renamed the Horse & Cat, then it was named the Bay Horse, then the Queen Victoria around 1839 and finally The Westminster. This was another one that fell to bombing and was demolished after the war.

The bank is 42 High Street.

Edited by alchresearch

Can anybody remember the name of the pub which was on High Street in the 1960s where the Nat West Bank now stands.

I can't recall a pub on High Street where the NatWest Bank stands, as it's alway's been a bank even in the 60's. The pub that was on High Street was opposite that bank, the 'Old Blue Bell ', where, 'Cavell's Cafe' is now.

I can't recall a pub on High Street where the NatWest Bank stands, as it's alway's been a bank even in the 60's. The pub that was on High Street was opposite that bank, the 'Old Blue Bell ', where, 'Cavell's Cafe' is now.

Cavells IS the re-vamped Old Blue Bell or as it was called " Up The Passage" as it didn't have a door into the street.

Cavells IS the re-vamped Old Blue Bell or as it was called " Up The Passage" as it didn't have a door into the street.

The original 'Bell' did not have a door and yes it was 'down the passage' (that pub had an upstairs bar too.) When the new one was built (1965 ?) it had an entrance on High Street and another one at the back near the 'Quaker' buildng.

Edited by stpetre
Spell

The original 'Bell' did not have a door and yes it was 'down the passage' (that pub had an upstairs bar too.) When the new one was built (1965 ?) if had an entrance on High Street and another one at the back near the 'Quaker' buildng.

Yes , out of the backdoor and into the Dove and Rainbow, very convenient lol;)

• 11 months later...
Lol showing your age now ... Bet you went to roxys as well !

sure did and top rank b4 roxys if i,m not wrong or the other way round.also gay parie in fitzallen square also stone house on high st across from cathedral. i really am showing my age but what brilliant nites out in the early 70s lol