Knocking the price down when buying a car.

I think the end of the month bit is abit of a myth, dealers don't get that desperate at the end of the month unless they're particularly crap.

Either way any decent salesman would always try just as hard for every sale regardless of the date.

However you might get some awesome pre-reg deals around the time when numberplates change.

I once negotiated an excellent deal at a main Honda dealer, and the manager went into his office, came back and said "We could only offer you the deal if you can pay for the car before Tuesday" (which was the last day of the month) so i think there is some truth in the end of the month advice.

However I did manage to swerve their terms and payed for it the following weekend, at the excellent deal price. :D

I would've walked on principle otherwise

Edited by Snapshot

Three things I have learnt when negotiating to buy a car;

1) never be in a rush, the dealer can tell right away

2) always shop at the end of the month not the beginning or middle.

Most dealers have quotas they want to fill, and if they aren't making it towards the end of the month they will be much more inclined to provide you will a deal that you are looking for

3) be very specific as to what you want on the car. If the dealer cannot provide it be clear then as to why you cannot meet the asking price

Good luck.

Good advice, also don't restrict yourself to local dealers, often the best deals are in another town and they usually deliver to you.

Remember they are very good at the job, they do it all day every day, it is not a bad idea to do internet research and go in with the deal you want and ask for it.

If you are taking finance they have even more profit to negotiate down.