Student Current Account.

Im surprised by this, when my son applied for a current account he was told he couldnt have an overdraft as they cant lend money to anyone under 18?

If I remember rightly its because an U18 cant sign a contract, which is what an overdraft is.

It means that if they get into debt the bank cant take them to court for it.

ignore me, i'm possible wrong

Im surprised by this, when my son applied for a current account he was told he couldnt have an overdraft as they cant lend money to anyone under 18?

If I remember rightly its because an U18 cant sign a contract, which is what an overdraft is.

It means that if they get into debt the bank cant take them to court for it.

I think that is right, looks like the banks are tempting people into a debt cycle by making it free.

I think that is right, looks like the banks are tempting people into a debt cycle by making it free.

Student overdrafts have been free for many decades. It's not some nefarious plan to temp people, it's to enable students to survive 3 or 4 years at university.

Actually, with my bank they continued to give it interest free, when I converted to a graduate account. At the time you are earning, you get 3 years to pay it back, interest free.

Incidentally, I have remained with the same bank now that I have a mortgage and savings. The reason they do it is to get people to stick with the same bank after graduating so they earn the money back many fold.

I believe that my bank reduced the interest free balance by £500 each year after graduation. So it stepped down from £1500 to £0 by the time you'd graduated 4 years ago.

---------- Post added 28-02-2017 at 12:28 ----------

If you are referring to university, 1.6%-4.6%

Which is it?

the banks are tempting people into a debt cycle by making it free.

Free, or 1.6 to 4.6 percent. It can't be both.

School children are students, this topic has been about both students studying for A levels and university students.

How can it be tempting people into debt if they dont even let you apply for an O/d till you are 18? the Lloyd's account is clearly aimed at students about to start Higher education.

It says

Confirmation of your student status

We’ll need your UCAS confirmation of place letter (usually issued after your A Level

or Higher results during August). You will need to print this letter from your UCAS Track profile once your place is confirmed. Or if you don’t have this, a letter from your

university or college confirming your place.

Overdrafts have been offered ever since I can remember. they are part of student finance and if anything they are there to stop people getting into expensive debt by being interest free.