Taxi Driver protests against legislation.

SheffTF

My Bold

The film in the camera would onley be looked at in a case of dispute, it would not be looked at as a matter of course.

one thing it would stop is the Blatant over charging of new students, to mention but one.

Also i fail to see how affective a camera in a taxi would be if, the driver could switch it on and off at will.

There's the threat option:

- any driver that cannot provide CCTV of the period in question when required to give it to an authorised party in the case of a dispute or formal complaint will have their license revoked and will be permanently banned from reapplying for a taxi license anywhere in the UK.

Or the technology version:

- Camera is linked directly to the taxi booking system and automatically switches on when the system is running to calculate a fare. Only card payments are allowed to be made and therefore if the driver doesn't turn on the system to start the camera he can't get paid.

2 solutions right there without completely trashing someone's right to privacy. I don't buy into the arguments similar to 'if you aren't doing something wrong you've nothing to worry about', if that's how you feel then get a camera put in every room in your house sending a feed to the council just in case something illegal happens.

If taxi drivers were so bothered about safety then why do they resist having cctv in their taxis?

My dads been a cabbie for 35 years and my brother is also one so I know the score, this protesting is more about keeping taxi numbers low disguised as a concern for safety.

All taxis in the Scandinavian countries have CCTV. They also take credit cards.

Why don't British cabs take credit cards? Is it because their earnings could be taxed properly?

A very small percentage do, cctv IMO should be made compulsory to protect both passengers and drivers from false accusations..

They are changing the law to do just that, but you've ignored my points about the cameras cannot be switched off even when using the taxi as a private vehicle.

---------- Post added 01-03-2017 at 14:08 ----------

All taxis in the Scandinavian countries have CCTV. They also take credit cards.

Why don't British cabs take credit cards? Is it because their earnings could be taxed properly?

Neither do our buses. And most taxis do take credit cards. Book a City Taxi through the app and you can pay by card. It's been there for ages and ages so highly doubtful it's a tax ruse but don't let that stop the taxi driver bashing...

A very small percentage do, cctv IMO should be made compulsory to protect both passengers and drivers from false accusations..

They are changing the law to do just that, but you've ignored my points about the cameras cannot be switched off even when using the taxi as a private vehicle.

This is the best idea,

http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/news/article/792/new_taxi_camera_rules_come_into_effect

Neither do our buses. And most taxis do take credit cards. Book a City Taxi through the app and you can pay by card. It's been there for ages and ages so highly doubtful it's a tax ruse but don't let that stop the taxi driver bashing...

Yes they can be switched off during personnel use as it says in this link provided by Kidley= http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/news/article/792/new_taxi_camera_rules_come_into_effect

This is the best idea,

http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/news/article/792/new_taxi_camera_rules_come_into_effect

Yes, that seems a reasonable compromise. Passenger has the power to turn on the camera if they see it's not on. Problem solved.

---------- Post added 01-03-2017 at 14:50 ----------

Yes they can be switched off during personnel use as it says in this link provided by Kidley= http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/news/article/792/new_taxi_camera_rules_come_into_effect

This is a different way of doing it compared to how Sheffield wanted to go. The Rotherham rules are sensible and remove all my concerns about privacy.

Bickering and general insults and abuse removed and posts quoting / following on from this. If you want your accounts to remain unsuspended I strongly suggest that you don't repeat this.

Discuss the matter civilly like adults please.