Taxi Driver protests against legislation.

SheffTF

My bold=

I'm not talking about enforced cctv I'm talking about drivers buying one controlled by them to protect themselves and passengers seeing as they make out they are concerned about safety.

I recently had a conversation with a cabbie, when taking a taxi in Glasgow. He said the council threatened to take his licence away if he fitted his own CCTV.

Almost two years and millions of pounds thrown at the Sheffield market in buying loyalty of some Sheffield drivers and encouraging others to obtain easy to get licenses from elsewhere, coupled with giving customer discounts, uber are still struggling to establish a foothold here. Mainly because of surge pricing where at busy periods they jack up their price to up to five times the normal and sting the customer. Also using drivers who are not licensed locally has not sat comfortably with many locals. The clientele who keep uber going are the Chinese students who type is Chinese and driver gets messsage in English and they don't bother about licenses and regulatory conditions :)

Sheffield's doing a good job of resisting Uber.

The world resisted Uber,

---------- Post added 02-03-2017 at 21:05 ----------

Almost two years and millions of pounds thrown at the Sheffield market in buying loyalty of some Sheffield drivers and encouraging others to obtain easy to get licenses from elsewhere, coupled with giving customer discounts, uber are still struggling to establish a foothold here. Mainly because of surge pricing where at busy periods they jack up their price to up to five times the normal and sting the customer. Also using drivers who are not licensed locally has not sat comfortably with many locals. The clientele who keep uber going are the Chinese students who type is Chinese and driver gets messsage in English and they don't bother about licenses and regulatory conditions :)

one man one job went in manufacturing a good few years back, it now seems that taxi drivers are going through something similar, the so called knowledge in Sheffield is largely out of date what with the technology we have now.

So SheffTF i have a question for you, whats wrong with a Sheffield licensed cab working in other cities?

The world resisted Uber,

one man one job went in manufacturing a good few years back, it now seems that taxi drivers are going through something similar, the so called knowledge in Sheffield is largely out of date what with the technology we have now.

So SheffTF i have a question for you, whats wrong with a Sheffield licensed cab working in other cities?

Can t answer for Sheffield but in Rotherham there has been a massive increase of Rossendale licensed cabs as the rules there are more lax than in Rotherham. By getting in a Rossendale cab you cant be sure if it is line with the regulations set out by Rotherham council. that's whats wrong, why should a driver who has gone through the process for Rotherham and paid out any fees to bring their car up to spec have to compete with others who deliberately choose to sidestep them.

From a passenger aspect I would only get in a Rotherham licenced cab and I would ask if there was cctv in it.

Can t answer for Sheffield but in Rotherham there has been a massive increase of Rossendale licensed cabs as the rules there are more lax than in Rotherham. By getting in a Rossendale cab you cant be sure if it is line with the regulations set out by Rotherham council. that's whats wrong, why should a driver who has gone through the process for Rotherham and paid out any fees to bring their car up to spec have to compete with others who deliberately choose to sidestep them.

From a passenger aspect I would only get in a Rotherham licenced cab and I would ask if there was cctv in it.

There is one easy cure for this, all taxi drivers go to such places as Rossendale and other similar places to get licensed. wouldn't that be better all round?

Why isnt there eny mention of the fly by night "taxi drivers" in such places as Barnsley These are just ordinary car owners taking bookings on such as twitter to drive people where they want to go. and just as a matter of interest according to Barnsley CC are earning £700 pw just working weekends and a few hours at night.

The world resisted Uber,

There is nothing wrong with a Sheffield licensed cab working anywhere, as long as you accept that it can charge what it likes without customer in case of complaint being able to get justice, if you accept the local council where he works will not have jurisdiction to check cab for safety or check if the driver is legally allowed to drive that cab, or in case of needing to trace vehicle you will be unlikely be able to do so. Apart from that there is nothing wrong with the cab itself:)

---------- Post added 03-03-2017 at 10:46 ----------

..... and just as a matter of interest according to Barnsley CC are earning £700 pw just working weekends and a few hours at night.

Thatbis simply laughable a figure to quote by them, Sheffield Uber are charging around 30% more than uber rest of the country because they still need to attract drivers here. Their rates of charge mean that drivers are earning less than minimum wage and are forced to top up their incom by claiming tax credits etc. To imagine someone working without any licence just picking up people randomly at weekends would make £700 is just too far fetched and completely out of touch with reality.

There is one easy cure for this, all taxi drivers go to such places as Rossendale and other similar places to get licensed. wouldn't that be better all round?

Why isnt there eny mention of the fly by night "taxi drivers" in such places as Barnsley These are just ordinary car owners taking bookings on such as twitter to drive people where they want to go. and just as a matter of interest according to Barnsley CC are earning £700 pw just working weekends and a few hours at night.

Really? So lets all go where it is easier to get a licence with less restrictions instead of adhering to the regs set out by the authority you are operating in? How about all taxi drivers adhere to the regs that they operate in instead so users get a better sense of confidence in the taxi and the journey.

---------- Post added 03-03-2017 at 10:51 ----------

They are changing the law to do just that, but you've ignored my points about the cameras cannot be switched off even when using the taxi as a private vehicle.

---------- Post added 01-03-2017 at 14:08 ----------

This is the best idea,

http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/news/article/792/new_taxi_camera_rules_come_into_effect

So in one post you are saying that Rotherham have the best idea by having the regs that require cameras in taxis that can be activated by passenger or driver, then you say they should all go to Rossendale where there is no requirement for cctv and that would be better all round

Really? So lets all go where it is easier to get a licence with less restrictions instead of adhering to the regs set out by the authority you are operating in? How about all taxi drivers adhere to the regs that they operate in instead so users get a better sense of confidence in the taxi and the journey.

---------- Post added 03-03-2017 at 10:51 ----------

So in one post you are saying that Rotherham have the best idea by having the regs that require cameras in taxis that can be activated by passenger or driver, then you say they should all go to Rossendale where there is no requirement for cctv and that would be better all round

my bold

such as the above post in bold, i will refrain from answering till the quote is quoted accurately.

---------- Post added 03-03-2017 at 10:46 ----------

[/color]

That's simply laughable a figure to quote by them, Sheffield Uber are charging around 30% more than uber rest of the country because they still need to attract drivers here. Their rates of charge mean that drivers are earning less than minimum wage and are forced to top up their incom by claiming tax credits etc. To imagine someone working without any licence just picking up people randomly at weekends would make £700 is just too far fetched and completely out of touch with reality.