Should "on street" parking spaces be delineated ?

Because it's space would need to accommodate even the largest car, so say a pickup truck at nearly 6m. Average car is around 4.5m so you'd be wasting 1.5m in each bay which is actually 33% so the 10% is possibly an underestimate .

Sounds reasonable. The alternative is better driving tuition, emphasising what the gaps should be, and not to waste space, particularly at the ends of the bays......

No, as a general rule it would reduce the space available, require enforcement and be an ongoing cost to paint and then to renew the spaces.

Marked parking bays reduce capacity from what I've read.

I agree. I'm pretty sure, from the way that disabled bays are marked on road, that having marked bays would increase the 'just too small' spaces and decrease parking space.

---------- Post added 01-03-2017 at 10:59 ----------

Because it's space would need to accommodate even the largest car, so say a pickup truck at nearly 6m. Average car is around 4.5m so you'd be wasting 1.5m in each bay which is actually 33% so the 10% is possibly an underestimate.

---------- Post added 01-03-2017 at 10:44 ----------

Enforce all new builds to have 2 off road parking spaces per house. All new apartments the same.

I've been told by an architect that the problem is that doing that doesn't fit with the housing density requirements. Basically we'd need more land and to start building on green belt.

IMHO, all new builds should have cycle storage and electric vehicle provision.

Sounds reasonable. The alternative is better driving tuition, emphasising what the gaps should be, and not to waste space, particularly at the ends of the bays......

In Paris, it's accepted that you can bump cars gently out of the way to fit into a space. Maybe we need to accept that, given the rise of vehicles on the roads. There was a guy on my road in Sheffield who actually moved deliberately to leave a ~ 2m space at either end of his car at any opportunity. All the neighbours got into the habit of moving cars around him to let others park.

I agree. I'm pretty sure, from the way that disabled bays are marked on road, that having marked bays would increase the 'just too small' spaces and decrease parking space.

I've been told by an architect that the problem is that doing that doesn't fit with the housing density requirements. Basically we'd need more land and to start building on green belt.

Then something has to give. Either we massively penalise 2 car households, build more car parks and make on road parking illegal or we build on green belt land. We cannot have our cake and eat it.

Large new builds (ie estates or flats) have to have sustainable transport plans.

So they show where the nearest public transport hubs are, provide appropriate parking/cycle storage facilities, etc...

I'm not sure that the provisions are adequate in that case then. My friends who live on various new build estates complain about all the on street parking and the narrow roads.

---------- Post added 01-03-2017 at 11:16 ----------

Then something has to give. Either we massively penalise 2 car households, build more car parks and make on road parking illegal or we build on green belt land. We cannot have our cake and eat it.

I'm not in favour of penalising 2 car households but I know of several three car/van households on terraced streets. I think that is largely due to housing costs though. What should be starter homes for people when they might have 0 or 1 car, are actually family homes. We could reduce that by having more family housing with adequate provision.

Personally, I think we need to adopt a model of selling off plots of land to individuals to build their own houses, rather than relying on big developers to build (often inadequate) new build estates.

Or build higher

Making on street parking illegal would massively exacerbate the problem but provide no advantage at all.

A proposal to outlaw owning a car as an adult would result in a rapid exit from politics I think.

---------- Post added 01-03-2017 at 11:53 ----------

Or build higher

Build higher means more people in the same horizontal space, all of whom want to have a car at the bottom waiting for them...

Making on street parking illegal would massively exacerbate the problem but provide no advantage at all.

A proposal to outlaw owning a car as an adult would result in a rapid exit from politics I think.

Where did I propose outlawing car ownership? I said 'massive penalties'. I'm not sure what I meant by making on street parking illegal! I put it down to baby brain or something as that would indeed improve nothing...perhaps I was thinking about pavement parking or something? God knows. Pretend I didn't write that.