For those born before 1940

A great piece of life as it was. To add my little bit, scraping the frost off the INSIDE of the window in the morning, jumping on the ice covered puddles on the way to school, racing matchsticks down the gutter when it was raining.

Then the war came so sitting under the stairs as the German planes droned overhead, I could never find my trousers in time and dreamt for years of walking down the street without them. Listening to the policeman at school telling us not to touch butterfly bombs and sticky bombs if we found them. Then finally the whole world turning upside down when my dad eventually came home and changed all the rules on how we were to behave.

We had an Anderson Shelter in the garden, were we posh ?.

hiya i remember in the 40s where i lived the majority of houses were the two up and one down type just a living area ,one bedroom, and the attic this was mine as i was an only child, but many around our way living in the same houses as us with three,four up to seven children we thought it was cramped, dont know what others thought. i know in the twenties my nan lived in a house like this and after my granddad died she was left to bring up five children all under the age of ten, now that would have been hard.

And not the security benefits they have now.

Being got up from bed when the sirens sounded and walking down the garden path to the shelter on frosty moonlight nights hearing the de-synchronised bomber engines as they flew over, and at the Sheffield blitz seeing the orange glow towards the town wondering how dad was who was on firewatch duty in Fargate. Collecting shrapnel and strips of silver anti radar paper dropped by planes.

Being got up from bed when the sirens sounded and walking down the garden path to the shelter on frosty moonlight nights hearing the de-synchronised bomber engines as they flew over, and at the Sheffield blitz seeing the orange glow towards the town wondering how dad was who was on firewatch duty in Fargate. Collecting shrapnel and strips of silver anti radar paper dropped by planes.

Spent five years of my life in the shelter with the kelly lamp on all night. After the war my mother apparently said that I wanted to sleepi n the hole in the garden.

Spent the war years living in rooms,can't remember much about the first one on St. Phillips road, the second Brinsworth st. Attercliffe.

We didn't get our own council house till 46, a prefab, and my mom never classed that as a real house.

During all that time I can never remember ever being in an air raid shelter.

Having said that I slept through the big wind in 62 so I'm not really surprised...

Wearing wellingtons for school in August.

Scarlett feaver.

Purple dye on our head scabs.

Rickets. Polio. chilblanes.

outside lavs.

no bathrooms.

It were lovely.

I used to post as Floridablade but having researched the 9/11 crime I changed my username, just for the record.

Peter, Priory Terrace was off Priory road and our house was between Sharrow lane and Priory Terrace just opposite the end of Fentonville St.

I agree with you cuttsie, not a good time, we were all starving ecept for the Churchill types of course.

Fruit and veg from the back of a horse and cart, a live chicken from the rag and bone man, watch the lamp lighter adjust the timing clock once a week, see the knocker up man with his long pole. The sheer delight of throwing a big overcoat onto the bed on a cold winters night. I even remember being treated by a doctor in hall that had over twenty patients waiting, seated in chairs around the wall all looking on.

hiya, my wife tells of the time when she and her siblings were young and her brother took some rags to the ragman and was given a chick, she says when the chick began to grow it turned out to be as she says the biggest rooster you ever saw and it thought it was one of the family it was in charge of everything, and when it got too much for them they took it to their grans on the wybourn where they had a chicken run, then it outstayed its welcome,

Archived