More 0 hours workers than ever..

On a related note (employer abuse) here's an email I just got from "38 degrees action group"-

We did it! Because of 40,000 of us, the cafe chain Mooboo Bubble Tea will now pay their staff for every hour they work. [1]

Until this week, Mooboo had been forcing new staff to work a 40-hour trial shift without pay, and without the guarantee of a job at the end of it. But ‘Better Than Zero’, a group that campaigns for worker’s rights, caught wind of the dodgy policy. They started a petition on the 38 Degrees website. [2]

Thousands and thousands of us piled in - and that’s when things started to move fast.

At first, Mooboo tried to ignore us, hoping we’d go away quietly. So together, we turned the pressure up a notch: we flooded their Facebook page and Twitter account with messages demanding they pay their staff properly. [3]

Our pressure meant the scandal was splashed across the media. [4] As the bad press for Mooboo grew, it sent their bosses into a spin. Just two weeks after the campaign started, here’s how Mooboo announced they were backing down:

Oh look. More data from December 2015.

http://www2.cipd.co.uk/pm/peoplemanagement/b/weblog/archive/2015/12/04/zero-hours-contract-workers-as-happy-as-permanent-staff.aspx

16 months old this time. I suppose now you'll tell us that it's invalid on account of the font or something.

Who'd have thought it. Oh wait me. And Obelix.

oh look more data from 2016 http://www2.cipd.co.uk/pm/peoplemanagement/b/weblog/archive/2016/09/08/use-of-zero-hours-contracts-up-21-per-cent-in-a-year.aspx who would have thought it :roll:

Oooh look...More data from a Human Resources professional body, that promotes ZHC's....(Why wouldn't they?)...Showing that more employers are catching on to this popular trend....

It just devalues the premise of ZHC....In favour of the employers.

Oooh look...More data from a Human Resources professional body, that promotes ZHC's....(Why wouldn't they?)...Showing that more employers are catching on to this popular trend....

It just devalues the premise of ZHC....In favour of the employers.

I like not these facts! I shall devise my own facts!

They shall be known "good facts" to distingish them from "real facts".

Seriously dude, if there was a way to conduct a half-credible survey showing the reverse somebody, the TUC for example, would have commissioned one. Really look for some other means of protecting workers from exploitation. ZHCs are not the enemy.

Edited by unbeliever

Seriously dude, if there was a way to conduct a half-credible survey showing the reverse somebody, the TUC for example, would have commissioned one. Really look for some other means of protecting workers from exploitation. ZHCs are not the enemy.

21% growth in a year shows that more and more people like them or employers are using them over setting people on dont you think :suspect:

21% growth in a year shows that more and more people like them or employers are using them over setting people on dont you think :suspect:

I honestly don't know what you're asking/saying here.

The unemployment rate in the UK is extremely low. We may have reached the point where there are few people left who are both capable of doing and interested in doing full time, work which this economy produces. In such a situation, it is only natural than an arrangement arise which allows people to pick up bits of work as and when it comes up without committing themselves to a full time post.

Nah, there's nobody really competing with him on price, my trainers are £20 cheaper there (and in stock) compared to JD and the other sports shops.

Starbucks have Costa and loads of indies competing for their business.

Having said that, the negative publicity forced Sports Direct to act: http://news.sky.com/story/sports-direct-acts-on-pay-after-critical-warehouse-report-10566898

I can fully appreciate your logic, and on the face of it seems inarguable.

However, I find myself deeply sceptical that this relatively small sample sized 'happiness' survey appears to pop up with monotonous regularity. There don't appear to be any others, either supporting it, or refuting it. I just find that a bit 'troubling'. Yep, call me cynical, but to me it just 'smacks' of an 'agenda'. Despite what you think, it can't be just be 'me' thinking that way.

You appear to have reverted back to your stance that ZHC's aren't a problem for many workers.

I can fully appreciate your logic, and on the face of it seems inarguable.

However, I find myself deeply sceptical that this relatively small sample sized 'happiness' survey appears to pop up with monotonous regularity. There don't appear to be any others, either supporting it, or refuting it. I just find that a bit 'troubling'. Yep, call me cynical, but to me it just 'smacks' of an 'agenda'. Despite what you think, it can't be just be 'me' thinking that way.

You appear to have reverted back to your stance that ZHC's aren't a problem for many workers.

Plus of course, even if the survey was accurate, it's not that relevant.

The people who can't exist on ZHCs (those with mortgages, family commitments etc) wouldn't have figured in the survey as they wouldn't be on ZHCs.

That leaves people without mortgages and family commitments, who, due to their lack of mortgage and family commitments, will tend to be happier people due to lack of crushing stress.