More 0 hours workers than ever..

According to some stats floated on this post that's the same %age that are unhappy with their full time job...is that an issue?

It's just a bit irritating that there only appears to be 'one' source of numbers...and it's taken as Gospel. Just because it's 'numbers'.

I suspect many people are unhappy with their full time contract jobs...But I suspect those unhappy with their full time ZHC jobs, cite different reasons.

It's just a bit irritating that there only appears to be 'one' source of numbers...and it's taken as Gospel. Just because it's 'numbers'.

I suspect many people are unhappy with their full time contract jobs...But I suspect those unhappy with their full time ZHC jobs, cite different reasons.

I guess the reason is that if those numbers were in dispute then someone would have found evidence to refute them...

I'm sure there are lots of people on ZHCs who are getting a terrible deal, and there are some who are getting a good deal. That's the problem, and simply removing ZHCs just means people get a bad deal from an employer but with a contract. The problem really is employers mistreating people and the law either not being up to scratch or the enforcement isn't good enough. ZHCs are a symptom of bad employment practices not the cause, so we should fix the cause rather than the symptom or the problem will pop up elsewhere.

I guess the reason is that if those numbers were in dispute then someone would have found evidence to refute them...

I'm sure there are lots of people on ZHCs who are getting a terrible deal, and there are some who are getting a good deal. That's the problem, and simply removing ZHCs just means people get a bad deal from an employer but with a contract. The problem really is employers mistreating people and the law either not being up to scratch or the enforcement isn't good enough. ZHCs are a symptom of bad employment practices not the cause, so we should fix the cause rather than the symptom or the problem will pop up elsewhere.

Very well put.

There 'are' people who are honestly trying to make a living on a ZHC's...

I'm not saying there aren't. Just that, for those with a mortgage and family commitments, a ZHC job doesn't cover their requirements in terms of income security.

Mortgage payments don't stop if one week they get no hours. Their families food and education and clothing needs don't stop if one week they get no hours.

What a horrible, stressful way to live.

And, the more of our nations working hours are taken up by ZHCs, the less are available for 'proper' jobs, that do have the kind of consistent hours that make paying a mortgage feasible.

Isn't there an 'issue' with continuity of employment, and therefore the ability to take a company to a tribunal? Which is now not free but 'costs'...So it's therefore a closed option to many with little to no income?

Part of the problem is that ZHCs facilitate bad deals- as well as the options for hitting the employee available with both forms of contract, ZHCs have the additional one of simply denying hours to the employee.

Fact is, that if the workers got to work, the employer can harm him/her equally well with both types of contract, but ZHCs carry the additional stress of being given insufficient hours to cover the workers living requirements.

They also bypass dismissal safeguards, as the employer can simply give so few hours that the worker has to quit.

I'm not saying there aren't. Just that, for those with a mortgage and family commitments, a ZHC job doesn't cover their requirements in terms of income security.

Mortgage payments don't stop if one week they get no hours. Their families food and education and clothing needs don't stop if one week they get no hours.

What a horrible, stressful way to live.

And, the more of our nations working hours are taken up by ZHCs, the less are available for 'proper' jobs, that do have the kind of consistent hours that make paying a mortgage feasible.

Ah...I see...Yes you're quite right...

I think some people are under the illusion that people end up in ZHC's before being committed to family and mortgages and loans etc. A lifestyle choice. But for many, taking a ZHC is the only option having already comitted to mortgages etc... given certain circumstances, and of course it's invariably the unskilled min wage types

What happens if you legislate to restrict or eliminate ZHCs?

How many people get taken on for fixed hours and how many are left unemployed with no income at all?

How many end up as agency workers, and are in basically the same position only some agent is taking a cut of their pay?

How many of those who you've just forced onto fixed hours actually wanted them?

In addition, how does this affect government finances and the public services they fund?

What happens if you legislate to restrict or eliminate ZHCs?

How many people get taken on for fixed hours and how many are left unemployed with no income at all?

How many end up as agency workers, and are in basically the same position only some agent is taking a cut of their pay?

How many of those who you've just forced onto fixed hours actually wanted them?

In addition, how does this affect government finances and the public services they fund?

Who benefits most from ZHC's? In most cases? It's the employer..Not the employee.

Did you read Petemcewans link?