More 0 hours workers than ever..

Do you employ many people on 40 hour contracts?

I have said what I think - it's above. If you can't understand it that's not my problem.

office 35hr and driver and wearhouse 40hr total 30 people, most drivers work 60 to 70 hours , if they dont they complain

Edited by phil752

Set up your own business and come back to me in 6 months. I guarentee you'd take any zhc offered.

That's another area that needs looking at; the self-employed.

Many people, particularly the over 50s, are so desperate to work they are using what little money they have to set up their own businesses, working hard, taking out far less than even the minimum wage, and ultimately losing the lot. 80% of new businesses fail.

On top of that you have the people who are employed, but classed as self-employed to save the employers money once again. People like some delivery drivers, etc.

Add them all together; 0 hours contracts,temporary contracts, unscrupulous agencies, dodgy self employed status, and there is a fair amount of sharp practise and exploitation going on.

But according to some people on here, that's just fine. I'm all right Jack.

What chance is there when even people from the same social group won't stand up for each other, and particularly those worse off than themselves. Don't they realise it could be them next?

exploitation is a strong word but as I have said before my lad has worked over 4 years on a 0 hours contract ,always got full time hours and is happy with his lot . but that probably does not fit in with your political agenda

My problem is, what kind of severance/ redundancy would he receive when he is no longer required? From what I see it would be zero, plus I believe, he is not allowed to sign with another employer during slow downs, at his original contract. That part, is to me, a paid kind of slavery.

Edited by TORONTONY

Many people, particularly the over 50s, are so desperate to work they are using what little money they have to set up their own businesses, working hard, taking out far less than even the minimum wage, and ultimately losing the lot. 80% of new businesses fail.

On top of that you have the people who are employed, but classed as self-employed to save the employers money once again. People like some delivery drivers, etc.

Add them all together; 0 hours contracts,temporary contracts, unscrupulous agencies, dodgy self employed status, and there is a fair amount of sharp practise and exploitation going on.

What chance is there when even people from the same social group won't stand up for each other, and particularly those worse off than themselves. Don't they realise it could be them next?

Anna

there is a big gap at present in what peple earn the tax they pay the gov are worried, that too few people are paying tax, on the other hand job centres are ecouroging people to go it to low paid or self empoyed work, that pay no tax at all.

---------- Post added 06-03-2017 at 00:28 ----------

My problem is, what kind of severance/ redundancy would he receive when he is no longer required? From what I see it would be zero, plus I believe, he is not allowed to sign with another employer during slow downs, at his original contract. That part, is to me, a paid kind of slavery.

none..........how warm is it there now

I've no idea where you get some of this stuff Anna. A lot of businesses fail regardless of the age of the owner. In the states it's seen as a learning curve, here it's very much a failure. But that's been the case in good times and bad since the year dot. But nobody is forced to set up their own business and risk it all - over 50 or not.

The self employed driver thing, particularly, Amazon bothers me though. It seems really sharp practice to me.

---------- Post added 06-03-2017 at 00:36 ----------

office 35hr and driver and wearhouse 40hr total 30 people, most drivers work 60 to 70 hours , if they dont they complain

I'm a tad worried you employ people who work in a warehouse but you can't spell it. ;)

I've no idea where you get some of this stuff Anna. A lot of businesses fail regardless of the age of the owner. In the states it's seen as a learning curve, here it's very much a failure. But that's been the case in good times and bad since the year dot. But nobody is forced to set up their own business and risk it all - over 50 or not.

The self employed driver thing, particularly, Amazon bothers me though. It seems really sharp practice to me.

I'm a tad worried you employ people who work in a warehouse but you can't spell it. ;)

im a tad worried that people

who worry about other people spelling rarther that people doing, i get worried about people that seem to be concerned about being worried about that dont YOU. Im on here waiting for my trucks going to bed and you are?

---------- Post added 06-03-2017 at 00:56 ----------

worry all you want so i cant spell, never have been able but i do put my opion nailed to my name rarther than you withering

Edited by phil752

I know a lot of businesses fail regardless of age, (probably because there isn't much help available IMO) but when the person is over 50 and putting all their savings, redundancy, pension or whatever into it, and it fails, there is not much chance of them ever getting it back and they face a very impoverished old age.

They might not be forced into it, but faced with redundancy / unemployment at 50+ means they may not be able to get JSA because they have some savings in the bank, and they are unlikely to be able to get a job because employers prefer younger workers. Put yourself in that position for a moment. What would you do?

I know a lot of businesses fail regardless of age, (probably because there isn't much help available IMO) but when the person is over 50 and putting all their savings, redundancy, pension or whatever into it, and it fails, there is not much chance of them ever getting it back and they face a very impoverished old age.

They might not be forced into it, but faced with redundancy / unemployment at 50+ means they may not be able to get JSA because they have some savings in the bank, and they are unlikely to be able to get a job because employers prefer younger workers. Put yourself in that position for a moment. What would you do?

yep ive heard this they just want to get numbers down

---------- Post added 06-03-2017 at 01:04 ----------

oh i forgot i have people i pay that corrects me simples, but im mostly retired now, just do the owl shift

Edited by phil752

Anna

there is a big gap at present in what peple earn the tax they pay the gov are worried, that too few people are paying tax, on the other hand job centres are ecouroging people to go it to low paid or self empoyed work, that pay no tax at all.

---------- Post added 06-03-2017 at 00:28 ----------

none..........how warm is it there now

Not bad at all, Toronto has only had about 10cm of snow all Winter, and although March came in cold, it warms up tomorrow. The east and west coast areas have took all the bad weather this year.