More 0 hours workers than ever..

Sports Direct: 90% of staff on zero-hour contracts. Sports Direct's entire 20,000 part-time workforce are employed on zero-hour contracts(2013).

Its great how one company can find all these people that prefer more flexible hours ;)

Your support for the Tory Government seems to be unaffected by the facts.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/jul/28/sports-direct-staff-zero-hour-contracts

This is an anecdote. I was asking about the national picture.

Oh my god, zero hour contracts. What is it coming to over yonder. Surely you would be better off calling yourself self- employed and get as many hours from as many employers as you could handle and get all the tax breaks for expenses, to boot.

So you genuinely think that everyone can take time off when they please to do as they please with no sanctions ?

I think you should live in the real world - i know teachers losing pay for caring for dying parents. I know people on 16 hour contract whose hours get split to 2-3 hour segments twice a day because they've upset the boss.

Where's the difference?

Yet people keep applying for the jobs - if they didn't they wouldn't be in the public domain to complain about.

The DWP do not sanction you for not applying for a zero hour contract job.

No, I didn't say that people could take time off. Anything else you want to make up for no reason?

Yes, they will sanction you for not applying and/or refusing to take such a job.

---------- Post added 03-03-2017 at 18:40 ----------

No i'm saying mistreatment of staff occurs all the time - so please stop ONLY blaming it on zero hours contracts or as a tool to stop zero hour contracts.

It shouldn't be happening anywhere but it does.

You're saying that mistreatment happens, so don't address the systematic mistreatment through a contract designed to allow it?

---------- Post added 03-03-2017 at 18:41 ----------

Oh my god, zero hour contracts. What is it coming to over yonder. Surely you would be better off calling yourself self- employed and get as many hours from as many employers as you could handle and get all the tax breaks for expenses, to boot.

A) The government won't let you.

B) Until recently the contracts required exclusivity to a single employer, even when they offered no hours of work.

This is an anecdote. I was asking about the national picture.

Sorry you didnt get my point.

I dont think all the students and semi-retired go to Shirebrook, Derbyshire in order to work at Sports Direct.

Of those thousands at the Shirebrook warehouse on zero hours, many would prefer regular work.

No, I didn't say that people could take time off. Anything else you want to make up for no reason?

Yes, they will sanction you for not applying and/or refusing to take such a job.

You're saying that mistreatment happens, so don't address the systematic mistreatment through a contract designed to allow it?

B) Until recently the contracts required exclusivity to a single employer, even when they offered no hours of work.

Geez, sounds like pre trade union days. The boss wins hands down, and the Government let's them, oh dear.

I dont think all the students and semi-retired go to Shirebrook, Derbyshire in order to work at Sports Direct.

Of those thousands at the Shirebrook warehouse on zero hours, many would prefer regular work.

I think you will find few with english as their first language

NO they won't unless you have personal experience. They can't/won't force you to apply for any job you don't want or can't take.

I've been unemployed and never been asked to apply for one or sanctioned for not applying for it.

NO they won't unless you have personal experience. They can't/won't force you to apply for any job you don't want or can't take.

I've been unemployed and never been asked to apply for one or sanctioned for not applying for it.

Have you been unemployed recently?

my lads worked here for over 4 years , first 2years for an agency on a 0 hours contract . in all that time hes never worked less than 36 hours a week . don't believe all you hear about sports direct