More 0 hours workers than ever..

The point is one week you may do 40 hours or so the next 10 hour so claiming anything would be difficult

It plays havoc with housing benefit. Every time there is a change in your income your housing benefit claim is suspended pending a recalculation. If your wage changes every week and you notify the housing benefit people of this, as you are obliged to do, your housing benefit award is always delayed by several weeks and it is very hard to know how much of your earnings to keep back to pay rent. Landlords hate it and it often increases the risk of homelessness.

---------- Post added 03-03-2017 at 22:32 ----------

NO they won't unless you have personal experience. They can't/won't force you to apply for any job you don't want or can't take.

I've been unemployed and never been asked to apply for one or sanctioned for not applying for it.

Part right and part very wrong. On JSA you are free to turn down work that would make you worse off, including a ZHC (remember this the next time you read a quote from the DWP stating that no one is worse off in work, they know it's not true). BUT they can and do force people to take work they don't want under threat of sanction. I think you must have been unemployed pre-2010.

my lads worked here for over 4 years , first 2years for an agency on a 0 hours contract . in all that time hes never worked less than 36 hours a week . don't believe all you hear about sports direct
wheres your lad live ? is he on the books now? has he been offered a workplace pension ?

that's debatable , already said he worked fulltime ,always has . why the interest ?

the only thorght i have is that if the can provide and i agree they do at sd full time employment why go down the 0 hours contract route. There is no security of employment.

According to this, they do, yes..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25098984

"Only 58% of UK employees said there were happy with their work-life balance, compared to 65% of those on zero-hours contracts."

That does not say 'people prefer zero hours contracts', or anything like it.

It could be that those on zero hour contracts just happen to be more care-free and happy, which you would expect, given that those who have more obligations to meet (families, mortgages etc) simply could not get by on unstable zero-hour contract, and would have to find full-time work.

(or be on benefits, and therefore not included in the poll).

Have you been unemployed recently?

Yes.

Never was i advised i had to A) take any job that was on the jobmarket b) apply for any job i didn't want to do c)sanctioned for a or b.

---------- Post added 04-03-2017 at 08:57 ----------

It plays havoc with housing benefit. Every time there is a change in your income your housing benefit claim is suspended pending a recalculation. If your wage changes every week and you notify the housing benefit people of this, as you are obliged to do, your housing benefit award is always delayed by several weeks and it is very hard to know how much of your earnings to keep back to pay rent. Landlords hate it and it often increases the risk of homelessness.

---------- Post added 03-03-2017 at 22:32 ----------

Part right and part very wrong. On JSA you are free to turn down work that would make you worse off, including a ZHC (remember this the next time you read a quote from the DWP stating that no one is worse off in work, they know it's not true). BUT they can and do force people to take work they don't want under threat of sanction. I think you must have been unemployed pre-2010.

I'm out of work now along with a friend in IT.

Neither of us have suffered either and we've been unemployed since September.

I have agreed to search for work,apply for jobs and attend interviews - doing all that gets me benefits.

If you don't want the job don't apply - simple.

Now back to zero hour contracts - what exactly is the problem with them?

Edited by willman