More 0 hours workers than ever..

Statistics:

1.4 million jobs are now offered on a zero-hours basis, and this doesn’t include temporary workers and those on fixed term contracts. So how can you get a mortgage if you don’t have continuous guaranteed employment?

I never have had a problem. In fact getting self certified ones was perhaps too easy just before the crash some say...

I was interested to see what the Government 'take' is in regard to ZHC's It appears to me, their definition of, or examples of when a ZHC would be used is somewhat different to how it's being widely used nationally.

6. Zero hour contracts

Zero hour contracts are also known as casual contracts. Zero hour contracts are usually for ‘piece work’ or ‘on call’ work, eg interpreters.

This means:

they are on call to work when you need them

you don’t have to give them work

they don’t have to do work when asked

Zero hour workers are entitled to statutory annual leave and the National Minimum Wage in the same way as regular workers.

You can’t do anything to stop a zero hours worker from getting work elsewhere. The law says they can ignore a clause in their contract if it bans them from:

looking for work

accepting work from another employer

You are still responsible for health and safety of staff on zero hour contracts.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/contract-types-and-employer-responsibilities/zero-hour-contracts

I never have had a problem. In fact getting self certified ones was perhaps too easy just before the crash some say...

You personally were probably never working on minimum wage when you were looking for a mortgage.

---------- Post added 13-03-2017 at 07:29 ----------

I'm pretty sure that if you design such a survey, and it's reasonably neutral, Obelix will act on it.

Perhaps this thread's followers in general would like to contribute?

Would surveymonkey work Obelix? Ie do your employees have email and computers they can access?

You personally were probably never working on minimum wage when you were looking for a mortgage.

Is this really about what workers want? Or is it about what you think is best for them? What you think they should want

how many zhc workers do you think would be able to get a mortgage over someone who had regular secure employment ?

What if they've already got a mortgage? What if hubby (or indeed wifey) is the main bread winner anyway?

A zhc made petes wife very upset, it was hard to budget but they already had a mortgage.

What if they've already got a mortgage? What if hubby (or indeed wifey) is the main bread winner anyway?

A zhc made petes wife very upset, it was hard to budget but they already had a mortgage.

Nope...Never had a mortgage!..But even so, budgeting is still necessary.

Nope...Never had a mortgage!..But even so, budgeting is still necessary.

Ok, so let's say zhc we're banned. Your good lady ends up with 12 hours a week spread over 5days. The hotel may well have a bank of staff with overtime that may or may not be available. Better?