More 0 hours workers than ever..

To be honest I'd bet (without any evidence admittedly) that a good chunk of people on zero hours contract don't care as long as the actual hours are pretty consistent. Zero hours doesn't necessarily mean no hours day after day.

There was a time when the Conservatives thought that home ownership was a good idea and that itself created more Tory voters - owning your own house gives people more motivation.

Impossible to get a mortgage on zero hours contracts, the Conservatives here should be against them too, at least in the growing numbers.

"It is therefore shocking that just 63.3 per cent of English households now own their own home, down from 70.9 per cent in 2003 and back to levels last seen three decades ago. In stark contrast, home ownership has been shooting up in France, rising from 60.5 per cent in 2007 to 64.3 per cent in 2013."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/property/11917816/The-real-ticking-time-bomb-for-the-Tories-is-home-ownership.html

There was a time when the Conservatives thought that home ownership was a good idea and that itself created more Tory voters - owning your own house gives people more motivation.

Impossible to get a mortgage on zero hours contracts, the Conservatives here should be against them too, at least in the growing numbers.

"It is therefore shocking that just 63.3 per cent of English households now own their own home, down from 70.9 per cent in 2003 and back to levels last seen three decades ago. In stark contrast, home ownership has been shooting up in France, rising from 60.5 per cent in 2007 to 64.3 per cent in 2013."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/property/11917816/The-real-ticking-time-bomb-for-the-Tories-is-home-ownership.html

Nobody is suggesting that everybody, or even a decent fraction of people, should be on ZHCs. It's just a part of a healthy job market.

Nobody is suggesting that everybody, or even a decent fraction of people, should be on ZHCs. It's just a part of a healthy job market.

In the last five years since the financial crash the number of men in work has remained almost unchanged, but 280,000 who were in full-time jobs have been forced to cut their hours.

Between May to July 2008 and the same time this year the number of people in part-time work because they could not find a full-time job more than doubled from 689,000 to 1.45 million.

That may be a healthy jobs market, but in times when things are not so good?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2417392/Part-time-Britain-Record-numbers-jobs-employed-work-25-hours.html#ixzz4aTj6vH1s

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I know you aren't blaming the lower home ownership percentage on zhc because you aren't that stupid but you should state that it's mainly due to the price of property well over and above everything else just so you don't look daft.

They can change jobs then..

When was the Govt responsible for people's happiness? There are many people unhappy in 9-5 salaried jobs too...

I think the issue is the proliferation of zero hours contracts. I was on one years ago and it suited me so I know they are not always bad but it gets problematic if too many permanent contracts get replaced by ZHCs because the option of voting with your feet and getting a permanent contract becomes less achievable. We want people to have choice don't we? So if ZHCs become too prevalent it restricts choice.

That's the key to half the debates on here.

To what extent are people responsible for themselves rather than the state being responsible?

The reality is that at some point in terms of interventionism, for every one person they make happier they hurt two.

The opposite of state intervention isn't personal freedom, it's corporatism. Corporations are far less interested in social good and happiness than either governments or people.

---------- Post added 05-03-2017 at 19:11 ----------

Are you saying the majority of people on zero hour contracts are not happy with that and would rather be on another type of contract. I've not seen any evidence to support that - do you have any?

It all seems to depend on whether you believe recent stories in the guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/sep/08/uk-workers-zero-hours-contracts-rise-tuc

Or a survey of 245 people in 2013.

The opposite of state intervention isn't personal freedom, it's corporatism. Corporations are far less interested in social good and happiness than either governments or people.

On the contrary, corporatism depends on statism for its existence. That's why corporations invest so heavily in government lobbying,

---------- Post added 05-03-2017 at 19:28 ----------

In the last five years since the financial crash the number of men in work has remained almost unchanged, but 280,000 who were in full-time jobs have been forced to cut their hours.

Between May to July 2008 and the same time this year the number of people in part-time work because they could not find a full-time job more than doubled from 689,000 to 1.45 million.

That may be a healthy jobs market, but in times when things are not so good?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2417392/Part-time-Britain-Record-numbers-jobs-employed-work-25-hours.html#ixzz4aTj6vH1s

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Everything you've just said is false. I am confident of this because it appears in the DM and all else being equal, all which appears in the DM should be assumed false.

To be honest I'd bet (without any evidence admittedly) that a good chunk of people on zero hours contract don't care as long as the actual hours are pretty consistent. Zero hours doesn't necessarily mean no hours day after day.

the point is many are not constant.

I know you aren't blaming the lower home ownership percentage on zhc because you aren't that stupid but you should state that it's mainly due to the price of property well over and above everything else just so you don't look daft.

Just highlighting that our job market is not one of increasing wealth and education, but one where employers claim people lack skills and education. So its the employers that have the upper hand, not the workforce.