Should Comedians Promote Politicians ?

Last night I saw Rory Bremner perform at the Pomegranate in Chesterfield. He made a couple of non starter jokes which I thought were ill judged given the political bias and the politics of those living close enough to attend the venue but then in the later part of the show when the audience were expecting a comedy interview he produced Anna Soubry and interviewed her in a very friendly manner which was tantamount to a promotion.

I am now wondering if this is a new technique to test the temperature of the waters for politicians policies. As most people will know Rory Bremner is a brilliant impressionist and political satirist, but his interview of Anna soubry was not all satirical and designed to show her to be a decent human being his obvious nitpicking of Jeremy Corbyn could be said to be designed to chip away confidence in him as a leader in a staunch Labour area.

Did anyone else see the show? What do you think?

I dont think its much different to any other kind of celebrity endorsement.

Its not much of a new thing. Jim Davidson has supported the tories for years and Kenny Everett famously did a routine at the Tory Conference too.

Many mordern comics do try to be a bit more neutral and generally attack all of them. However, there is no denying that you cannot usually tell where their leanings are too.

Over on the red side we have a wealth of Labour and most recently very vocal Corbyn supporters well and truely nailing their colours to the mast. Russell "comedian" Brand, hollywood Dahling Michael Sheen, voice of a welsh miner Charlotte Church and of course, the grand daddy of tory bashing himself Ken Loach.

I think the whole satire/serious interview format is just an extension of all that. Rory Bremner I have always found to be very much a political satirist over a general comedian/impressionist. I would suspect that his audience members would feel so too.

If say, Michael Mcintyre or Peter Kay has suddenly done a straight interview with an MP in thier show, that might be a bit different.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Well he is a political satirist so that is what we went for (I try to get over the swearing) but we did go for the comedy and when the stage was set up for an interview (Chairs table microphones)we were expecting more laughs but then he brought on a real politician and did a very friendly stint rather than a satirical one. On reflection I feel that the audience were being softened up for the real purpose of the performance. And the tickets were not cheap at £21 There were two security men on duty that I had not seen before too. It was not what I expected of Rory Bremner He has always seemed even handed in his satire of politicians.

Comedians are some of the smartest people around. 5 minutes listening to them often tells you more about the state of the nation than a dozen party political broadcasts.

But IMO they're non-partisan. I've always found their barbed comments distributed equally between all the political parties.

Comedians are some of the smartest people around. 5 minutes listening to them often tells you more about the state of the nation than a dozen party political broadcasts.

But IMO they're non-partisan. I've always found their barbed comments distributed equally between all the political parties.

You don't listen to radio 4 comedy then Anna, particularly the news quiz.

comedy or insults ?

That totally depends on what is said and done. Impressionists study vocal patterns and slight and subtle body movements as well as facial expressions then exaggerate them. Political satire uses the inconsistencies and prejudices The combination of the two is very powerful and shows how ridiculous some of the people in politics are. I was not expecting a polite conversation with a Conservative Politician in the show.