Manager are they fit to manage when they need consultants

do you need a consultant

Do you even know what one is?

You certainly seem to know nothing about anything to do with management given your silly questions on here.

Now, back to your OP. Do you really think that a manager is not "fit for purpose" if they have to occasionally seek advice and support on specific issues from a suitable professional?

What would you suggest should happen in the alternative?

I ask again, do you really have a belief that a Manager should know every single thing about every single circumstance in their industry. How do you think that would be even practical?

There is no such thing as someone knowing everything. That's a concept a small child even understands.

Do you disagree with such?

---------- Post added 05-03-2017 at 23:23 ----------

ECCOnoob

[/color]

What? I literally have no idea what you are on about.

guess you need is a consultant, dont tell me what firm you work for it may be ours, scary.

If you need a consultant are you fit for the job

Depends on the situation. My boss and I didn't get on and employed a consultant to do a "health check" on our operation and to see if we could do more.

In the end the consultant and I had exactly the same aims, ideas and goals in mind, and their final report was that we were doing all we could without fault, and only a massive injection of funds could produce the results the boss wanted - something I'd been saying for the last two years.

A manager is in a hot air balloon that has been blown off course and he has no idea where he is. He spots a man walking through a field so lowers the balloon so he can shout down to him. “Excuse me, can you tell me where I am?” says the manager. “Why, yes of course” says the man “you are in a hot air balloon hovering 20ft off the ground”.

“Are you a consultant?” says the manager “Because whilst what you have told me is technically correct, it has no value whatsoever”. “Why yes I am” says the man “ I presume you are a manger, because you are in a mess of your own making yet, somehow, it’s now my fault!”

When I was a consultant I had a Dogbert cartoon pinned to my cubicle. It went something like:

Dogbert to manager: "Your problem is you have too many consultants"

Manager: "You're a consultant"

Dogbert: "Yes, ironic, isn't it?"

• 2 weeks later...

Yes of course its too simple.

Those consultants serve a purpose. They are giving professional advice, analysis and insight to fix the £900m financial black hole that the NHS currently suffers with. They are trying to make some small steps to correct the decades of ever spiraling expense, waste, oversubscription, being taken for granted, being badly run and being completely unworthy of its seemingly untouchable status.

"...the public want doctors, nurses and paramedics.." Yes of course they do. That's because the "public" are dumb and they think that's all the NHS requires to work. They think that doctors, nurses and hard working support staff are the ONLY parts to the NHS that should ever have money spent on it.

The mere rumour of a new manager or administrator or office block or computer systam and you can hear the screams about ".....waaa waaa how many doctors would that pay for.....waaa waaa..." Its pathetic.

The "public" never know the reality. They never know nor care that an organistation with 1.6 million employees and a £136 billion budget actually does require management operations, directors and leadership to function.

Sometimes, despite what the Daily Mirror and the Labour party scream from the rooftops its badly run and overfunded.

Some of us have no issue with criticising it when its deserved nor cutting its massively inflated funding when it should be. Those decisions are huge and do not get done by some dusty civil service clerk sitting in a hospital basement. It needs suitably qualified and suitably skilled professionals.

Like I have said before on this thread, nobody knows every single aspect about every single circumstance in their field of industry.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Managers ARE doing the job by obtaining and if necessary acting on such advice when needed.

Not sure if an editor of a newspaper would be similar to being a manager, but George Osborne is said to have little experience to run the London Evening Standard.