Garages - becoming too narrow..

I know that it sounds counter-intuitive, but a relative told me recently that it s actually 'healthier' for your car to be left on the drive rather than to be put in the garage.

He explained it in technical language which I can't remember, but I think it had something to do with potentially damaging particles being washed or blown away rather than being allowed to accumulate in a dry space.

:huh:

Hmmm...

... a Sheffield Forum member, is he? :suspect:

I know that it sounds counter-intuitive, but a relative told me recently that it s actually 'healthier' for your car to be left on the drive rather than to be put in the garage.

He explained it in technical language which I can't remember, but I think it had something to do with potentially damaging particles being washed or blown away rather than being allowed to accumulate in a dry space.

I can say from experience that leaving your car in a garage certainly extends its life,rust,scratches and theft is reduced greatly.I had to leave a car outside for four years and it didnt survive as long as all the cars that i garaged every night.I sleep better as well knowing that it is secure in my security shuttered garage ,not to mention not having to scrape the ice and snow off in winter and having a heater that works after five minutes.:)

It really is time that British properties were marketed by the square metre rather than number of bedrooms and double or single garage. People think "4 bedroom house" sounds big when the total floor space can be anything but.

1. Not true- people do not occupy a square footage (OK, square meterage) but a room or some rooms.

2. And what's this got to do with garages and car size anyway?

I can say from experience that leaving your car in a garage certainly extends its life,rust,scratches and theft is reduced greatly.I had to leave a car outside for four years and it didnt survive as long as all the cars that i garaged every night.I sleep better as well knowing that it is secure in my security shuttered garage ,not to mention not having to scrape the ice and snow off in winter and having a heater that works after five minutes.:)

It can be a bit of a grey area though when it comes to insurance. At the company I used to work for we had company cars and one of our employees had his car broken into whilst in his garage and tools et'c taken.

He found that the house insurance would not pay up because it was a company car and the firms insurance wouldn't pay up because it was in his garage. If the car had been parked on the road, they said, then their would have been no problem.

Edited by spilldig

It can be a bit of a grey area though when it comes to insurance. At the company I used to work for we had company cars and one of our employees had his car broken into whilst in his garage and tools et'c taken.

He found that the house insurance would not pay up because it was a company car and the firms insurance wouldn't pay up because it was in his garage. If the car had been parked on the road, they said, then their would have been no problem.

My insurance company know my car is kept in my garage and gave me discount for doing so.The gentleman said it is so rare to have somebody actually putting their car in a garage.Most people have a garage full of junk nowadays.

1. Not true- people do not occupy a square footage (OK, square meterage) but a room or some rooms.

I think he raises a valid point. Using square meterage actually indicates total space available. British houses are becoming incredibly pokey just to fit as many rooms as possible. What on earth is the point of a lounge in a 4 bedroom place if you can only fit one sofa and a chair in it? (As seems to be the norm!)

Slightly odd comment Jeffrey. On t' continent, property is nearly always advertised in square metres so you can see how much space you are getting for your money, it's not some wacky idea I came up with when I was high ;)

And I think it's relevant because "garage" is generally taken to mean a building in which you can park your motor, but it seems that definition has lost some of its meaning.