Aeropiccola vibrosaw..

Believe this type of saw is known as an Aeropiccola, but that may be a brand name...

(If you Google it, you'll see images that appear close to mine)

Being a vibro saw, would this use 'piercing saw' blades? Scroll saw blades? Or are they the same?!

Looking at it, suitable blades must be circa 6" long, as they are simply clamped to the saw arm and base by two small squares of metal and wingnut.

Any similar 'vibro saw' users out there who can give a bit of info?!

This is the thing powered by an electromagnet in the base that goes like a bat out of hell right? Has a circular table and a spidery arm antry thing? We used to use "No 1 25tpi wood blades" from the local model show for fine work in birch and walnut. Used to last ages, they were nothing special either just a fine wire saw with teeth cut into it.

This is the thing powered by an electromagnet in the base that goes like a bat out of hell right? Has a circular table and a spidery arm antry thing? We used to use "No 1 25tpi wood blades" from the local model show for fine work in birch and walnut. Used to last ages, they were nothing special either just a fine wire saw with teeth cut into it.

The very same - not so sure about the 'bat out of hell' bit, though!

But scroll or piercing saw blades? (Maybe the same thing?)

Looks like you can get flat(?) or 'round backed' blades matching your description, but I can't find anything else that's helpful.

Recall anything about the arm tension when attaching a blade?

As I recall and it's a long long time ago, there were three blades that were stocked. You could get a flat blade that was just like a jigsaw blad for straight cuts, which no one used unless cutting thick stuff. There was a round wire with teeth that only cut one way, but you could rotate the work through the cut and do some really fancy work. That was what we used and was the wood blade, mainly used for fretwork. They did wood and metal versions of these.

They also did a diamond wire which was thicker and covered with industrial diamond. Very good at glass cutting but very slow. Only ever used one and it was a pain.

I don't recall tension as such - there was a weight on the top of the arm though that slid up and down and controlled the speed it oscillated at as I recall. I presume it was a self tensioning device though - I just fitted blades and let it get on with it.

As I recall and it's a long long time ago, there were three blades that were stocked. You could get a flat blade that was just like a jigsaw blad for straight cuts, which no one used unless cutting thick stuff. There was a round wire with teeth that only cut one way, but you could rotate the work through the cut and do some really fancy work. That was what we used and was the wood blade, mainly used for fretwork. They did wood and metal versions of these.

They also did a diamond wire which was thicker and covered with industrial diamond. Very good at glass cutting but very slow. Only ever used one and it was a pain.

I don't recall tension as such - there was a weight on the top of the arm though that slid up and down and controlled the speed it oscillated at as I recall. I presume it was a self tensioning device though - I just fitted blades and let it get on with it.

Ah...no weight on mine.

When turned on, the plate above the magnet vibrates but doesn't flex 'that much' - for the minute, I don't think it would vibrate a blade enough to cut through anything.

Thanks for your help - I'll order a few off eBay and see how things end up!

Cheers to you...