Using Mobile Phones While Driving - New Laws

What I'm struggling to understand, is if interacting with your (secured to dashboard) phone touchscreen is dangerous and an offence; why is interacting with your car's built in touchscreen device perfectly okay?

I should add, I'm somewhat playing devils-advocate here, and I would think scrolling though FB while driving is way too discrracting and should be penalised.

The law has expressly prohibited touching your phone, anything else could be covered under driving without due care, but that would be a harder thing to prove in court.

I don't think the law makes any attempt to answer the question you pose though as to why the mobile phone is singled out.

The law has expressly prohibited touching your phone, anything else could be covered under driving without due care, but that would be a harder thing to prove in court.

I don't think the law makes any attempt to answer the question you pose though as to why the mobile phone is singled out.

The law is quite clear, if people read it from a reliable site.

It’s illegal to hold a phone or sat nav while driving or riding a motorcycle. You must have hands-free access, such as:

a bluetooth headset

voice command

a dashboard holder or mat

a windscreen mount

a built-in sat nav

https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law

Yep, it does seem a bit contradictory somehow (touch mobile phone bad, touch built in device okay).

I guess from a law makers point of view though, it does address a specific modern day problem. I don't have facts to hand, but imagine more people die in accidents caused by lapse of concentration where driver was using a mobile phone, vs, using a built in touch screen device.

---------- Post added 12-09-2018 at 14:18 ----------

The law is quite clear, if people read it from a reliable site.

It’s illegal to hold a phone or sat nav while driving or riding a motorcycle. You must have hands-free access, such as:

a bluetooth headset

voice command

a dashboard holder or mat

a windscreen mount

a built-in sat nav

https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law

Thanks El Cid. Only illegal to hold? So okay to touch a phone if it's in a mount?

What I'm struggling to understand, is if interacting with your (secured to dashboard) phone touchscreen is dangerous and an offence; why is interacting with your car's built in touchscreen device perfectly okay?

I should add, I'm somewhat playing devils-advocate here, and I would think scrolling though FB while driving is way too discrracting and should be penalised.

I think people have become way too addicted to their phones, and can't stand to be bored for even a few seconds. I see people all the time, as soon as they slow down in traffic, the phone comes out and they start scrolling.

I had a sat-nav, but I've only used it a couple of times. Mostly because it always falls off the windscreen at the completely wrong moment!

Topping the charge sheet is failing to look properly (the Smidsy factor – "Sorry mate, I didn't see you', relevant in 20.5 per cent of fatals involving driver error).

Could this be improved by cars having side lights/head lights on 24/7?

Eating behind the wheel is also cited as a top cause of distractions.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/road-safety/8702111/How-do-accidents-happen.html

Surely you don't want to stop a Truck Drivers 5 mile lunch.

Angel1.

Doing anything is not ok if anything goes wrong - hence woman reaching for apple in bag on passenger seat, steering goes off a bit - the observed offence (loss of control) still gets a ticket.

The same offence is so easily committed by interacting with radio, touch screen or whatever.

It’s hard to find a PC, though.

---------- Post added 13-09-2018 at 06:01 ----------

I think it is singled out because of the explosion in mass take-up and use of mobile phone. All the other possible distractions have always been there but add to that potential, virtually everyone playing with a mobile and you have the authorities running for the rule book.

Hands-free, in any case, may be legal but it can still be lethal (scampers off for flak helmet). Companies are slowly adding themselves to the list of “no phone use while driving” policy holders. Ask yourself whether ANY conversations and away-with-the-fairies moments nudge you into visualising and/or internalising. Then ask yourself whether you are coping with the additional cognitive load in the visual part of your brain. Research shows quite clearly there’s a significant narrowing and shallowing of driver eye movements when this goes on.

Edited by DT Ralge

Ask yourself whether ANY conversations and away-with-the-fairies moments nudge you into visualising and/or internalising. Then ask yourself whether you are coping with the additional cognitive load in the visual part of your brain. Research shows quite clearly there’s a significant narrowing and shallowing of driver eye movements when this goes on.

Best do away with passengers then, they invariably want to speak and not sit in silence.

Best do away with passengers then, they invariably want to speak and not sit in silence.

You know full well that there’s no benefit in going down an absolutist route to disprove any assertion.

My assertion was merely that lots of things distract and that hands-free chats aren’t as risk-free as many would think or as the Law (and its application) might suggest.

Getting drivers to acknowledge this and to recognise and manage distractions is my interest.