Using Mobile Phones While Driving - New Laws

The actual legislation is HERE

with the CPS Prosecution Guidance HERE

so normal dedicated satnavs, car radios etc. are excluded.

However, there are still other offences which may occur, such as driving without due care, in a position not to be in full control, without due consideration for other road users etc.

Plenty of accurate info at this link as well.Link-1

As a cyclist who a) passes a car about a three feet from the driver, and b) is about two feet above the driver's hands I'd say that in stationary or slow moving traffic about 20%-30% of drivers now are checking their devices and 50% of those are checking their facebook.

Its those that are checking their lipstick ,hair and make up as well as waps net that gets up my nose.

Best do away with passengers then, they invariably want to speak and not sit in silence.

The passenger in the car is likely to be more aware of the surroundings and what is happening than someone on the phone. Unless of course the person on the phone is in the back seat, the ultimate back seat driver :)

The passenger in the car is likely to be more aware of the surroundings and what is happening than someone on the phone. Unless of course the person on the phone is in the back seat, the ultimate back seat driver :)

And, conversely, the car driver on the phone by whatever means (hands-free or not) is less likely to spot the filtering cyclist, motor bike, last-second pedestrian dashed in my opinion.

---------- Post added 16-09-2018 at 07:03 ----------

Not just new laws, new technology:

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/speed-camera-phone-speeding-offences-15146448

• 10 months later...