Using Mobile Phones While Driving - New Laws

Tell that to the families of people who have been killed by a driver using their hand held phone.

This sort of emotionally based response is incredibly unhelpful when discussing public policy.

---------- Post added 03-03-2017 at 07:34 ----------

I'm all for the increase in the fines etc.

But the only reason for the changes is the failure of the last increase to be enforced. Expect a crackdown this week but next week/month we'll be back to business as usual I.e. roads policing: a thing of the past (give or take the full use of HADECs3 potential but that's another story).

Without Traffic officers out there day-in, day-out nothing will change in driver behaviour. Take for instance the (probable/alleged) red-light running fatality at 6am in Doncaster yesterday. Bound to happen since speed limits and compliance with red lights don't appear to matter in the early hours - that's almost a daily experience on my early commute - if you haven't noticed that and done something to avoid getting involved in others' non-compliance, you're in for a shock.

(Nb: I was told recently that a SYP Traffic shift used to involve 37, it's now just 11 and that a SYP traffic night shift is just 4 cars). You get the policing you pay for.

It's far worse than just early hours, I've seen multiple red lights run in just the last week.

One of them appeared to just get fed up with waiting, he wasn't amber gambling, he just set off from stationary through the red light...

---------- Post added 03-03-2017 at 07:35 ----------

I was parked on Trippet Lane for 10 minutes this evening and had I been a PC,could have caught 3 drivers texting on their mobiles whilst inching towards a junction.

Each looked suitably surreptitious ,but it's so obvious as their eyes flicker up and down,and gaps appear in the queue.

Probably texting such essentials as "I have left work" or "the traffic is busy tonight"

I am sure it will become less prevalent if the change in the law is backed by detection and prosecution.

And what major danger did they pose whilst "inching". At worse they would have caused a minor insurance claim for paintwork to the car in front.

---------- Post added 03-03-2017 at 07:36 ----------

Garbage insurance company maths probably. In reality that's idiotic, unless the insurance cowboys are erring on the hitsuzen side of guzen.

It's not garbage, it's just statistics.

[/color]

And what major danger did they pose whilst "inching". At worse they would have caused a minor insurance claim for paintwork to the car in front.[color="Silver

Just indicative of the apparent need for some drivers and pedestrians to have their phones in their hands at all times,and to respond instantly to any call or message.

The aim is to get people out of this habit so a zero tolerance approach is needed.

You would have thought that 6 points and a hefty fine would have some effect on making people concentrate on the job in hand.

Very astonishing! Someone causes you (doing nothing wrong whatsoever) to be involved in an accident, then you get penalised for it? Daylight robbery.

The trick is obviously not inform the police or insurance company if you're involved in an accident. In which case, why bother with insurance at all? (Don't worry, I am insured, and happily, my insurance has come down this year) :)

Much as I hate dealing with insurance companies it would really be folly not to be insured,, even if it was optional because if you injure someone who is incapacitated either for a short time or for the rest of their life the bill can run to thousands if not millions of pounds.

Passing on the content of my trade bulletin:

"By now most people will know of the recent changes regarding mobile phone penalties - £200 fine, and 6 points via fixed penalty if stopped, and much higher fines if the case goes in front of a court. New drivers will have to retake their test under the 6 points rule.

New information released shows that:

· If you are caught for speeding it is likely to result in a 14% average increase in your own private car insurance

· If you receive a conviction for a hand-held mobile phone offence the increase in your insurance is likely to be between 20-30%

· Currently there are 3 insurers who will decline to cover you next time!

Why? Most people don’t deliberately exceed speed limits – they lose focus and speed creeps up usually unintentionally.

But a driver makes a deliberate choice to use a mobile phone in contravention of the law – and insurers don’t want to cover those who deliberately flout the rules. If you make that choice to break the rules it shows a deliberate disregard of rules."

So the true cost of the offence will be much higher especially if your insurer refuses to insure you next time and you have to answer the question, "have you ever been refused insurance?"

Edited by DT Ralge

Just indicative of the apparent need for some drivers and pedestrians to have their phones in their hands at all times,and to respond instantly to any call or message.

The aim is to get people out of this habit so a zero tolerance approach is needed.

You would have thought that 6 points and a hefty fine would have some effect on making people concentrate on the job in hand.

Sitting in slow moving traffic is boring though!

---------- Post added 03-03-2017 at 15:10 ----------

Why? Most people don’t deliberately exceed speed limits – they lose focus and speed creeps up usually unintentionally.

I appreciate the bulletin being shared, but do they really believe this?

Most people who speed have made a conscious decision to travel at 80 in a 70 zone, or 60 in a 50 zone and so on.

Sitting in slow moving traffic is boring though!

---------- Post added 03-03-2017 at 15:10 ----------

I appreciate the bulletin being shared, but do they really believe this?

Most people who speed have made a conscious decision to travel at 80 in a 70 zone, or 60 in a 50 zone and so on.

I sit next to loads of drivers who exceed 30, knowing they are being observed.

So it's not always a conscious activity.

IF it isn't safe to use hands free/bluetooth kits then why do almost all major car manufacturers have them pre installed ?

That's really a question for almost all major car manufacturers.

The research is pretty clear and unequivocal: Talking on the phone, hands-free or otherwise, causes changes in focus and reaction time that are comparable to driving over the limit.

I understand that people don't want to hear, or believe this, because they are in the habit of using hands-free with impunity and have no wish to acknowledge the driving impairment it is shown to cause.

The research is pretty clear and unequivocal: Talking on the phone, hands-free or otherwise, causes changes in focus and reaction time that are comparable to driving over the limit.

I understand that people don't want to hear, or believe this, because they are in the habit of using hands-free with impunity and have no wish to acknowledge the driving impairment it is shown to cause.

Well written.

... and the only real and significant difference in outcomes between hand-held and hands-free (if you end up killing someone) is the length of prison sentence you will face.

Presumably talking to a passenger, particularly one you can't directly see (in the back seat) causes exactly the same changes.