2017 Spring Budget...

The best thing would be to replace diesel with electric vehicles in cities, and with the diversity in supply chains I'm not sure that we could reliably provenance any vehicle as 'made in the UK'

Would need a long extension cable.

---------- Post added 08-03-2017 at 17:27 ----------

"barriers to setting up faith schools will be removed"

Why?

Surely such quackery has no place in educational establishments.

Oh good, a green light for more Radicalisation . :roll:

An electric motor is a far better proposition than an internal combustion engine.

You already have rotary motion, and an ability to vary speed without gearboxes.

Given the investment they are a far better proposal than piston engines, on simplicity grounds alone.

That's all true.

Shame the fuel tank on an electric car costs £20k, has a range of 100 miles, takes an hour to fill up, and has to be replaced after 30,000 miles.

Oh good, a green light for more Radicalisation . :roll:

They won't necessarily all be run by Islamists.

As all but the teeniest tiny commercial vehicles are diesel (with no alterntives available in most sizes) thats very much a tax on business.

You could offset the costs for haulage against other taxes. London's solution is a ultra low emission zone, which restricts diesel vehicles. Anyway obviously Phil didn't think it would be a good idea either, no scrappage scheme.

---------- Post added 08-03-2017 at 17:36 ----------

And a tax on me.

I bought a diesel golf because the greens said it was the right thing to do for global warming and such.

You tax me for forking out extra money to save the planet and I'll bloody well not do it again. I'm already hacked off that it has to go back to vw to have the economy lies taken out of it.

On me as well, but the CO2 emissions benefit of diesel still stands especially for longer jouneys, but I now choose not to drive my car regularly or at all on short journeys in cities.

---------- Post added 08-03-2017 at 17:40 ----------

But when you change your car you have the option of buying another golf, with a tiny efficient petrol engine with a turbo on it. Mr van 3.5tonne van driver doesn't have choice. Neither, to the best of my knowledge do Hgvs. It's diesel or diesel.

There are electric hybrids available for most sizes of vehicle including buses and HGVs.

That's all true.

Shame the fuel tank on an electric car costs £20k, has a range of 100 miles, takes an hour to fill up, and has to be replaced after 30,000 miles.

The same conditions applied with the original internal combustion engines.

If the same energy and enterprise is put into battery development as has been devoted to combustion engines we could have successful machines in a short time.

The same principles could be applied to merchant ships, using solar power and wind power, if the will was there.

The same conditions applied with the original internal combustion engines.

If the same energy and enterprise is put into battery development as has been devoted to combustion engines we could have successful machines in a short time.

The same principles could be applied to merchant ships, using solar power and wind power, if the will was there.

An absolutely vast amount of energy and enterprise has been put into battery R&D. That's why the energy density has gone up by a factor of 5 in the last 20 years.

But it's incredibly difficult to store electricity. That's just physics.

An absolutely vast amount of energy and enterprise has been put into battery R&D. That's why the energy density has gone up by a factor of 5 in the last 20 years.

But it's incredibly difficult to store electricity. That's just physics.

I know that, then we must find another way, if batteries are unfeasible. We are capable of doing anything if we put our collective minds to it.

The self employed have got clobbered.

When you think that many of those will be small start ups, 'employed' self employed (people like Uber drivers,) 0 hours contract workers, etc it hardly seems fair, when the employers who don't have to provide them with sick pay, holiday pay, pensions, etc get another cut in Corporation tax.

The self employed have got clobbered.

When you think that many of those will be small start ups, 'employed' self employed (people like Uber drivers,) 0 hours contract workers, etc it hardly seems fair, when the employers who don't have to provide them with sick pay, holiday pay, pensions, etc get another cut in Corporation tax.

It is all another con.

When they closed down all our industry, they encouraged us to go self employed, now they are caning the self employed.

They encouraged us all to buy diesel engine vehicles, claiming the only emissions were H2O and CO2, cleverly omitting to mention all the nasties that were lurking in the petroleum.

Now they are caning us for tax on the self same 'clean' fuel.

When will people learn that tories are dyed in the wool liars and exploiters who do not give a damn about anyone, or anything, but themselves?