2017 Spring Budget...

And you'd support that?

My sad attempt at early morning humour. :)

I am going to give up early morning talking.

While making the tea about an hour ago, I was trying to explain to my wife why americans do not use electric kettles.

For some reason she was not impressed. ;)

Edited by Jacktari

My sad attempt at early morning humour. :)

I am going to give up early morning talking.

While making the tea about an hour ago, I was trying to explain to my wife why americans do not use electric kettles.

For some reason she was not impressed. ;)

It's a combination of the plug design and the mains voltage isn't it?

Still they use electric ovens so it must be possible, but of course they have dedicated high current wiring.

What current are their plugs and outlets rated to? Wiki suggests 15A. At 120V, that would give them 1.8 kW compared to 3.1 kW everywhere else.

So their electric kettles would take roughly twice as long to boil.

The Canadians and Japanese must have the same problem then.

Sorry this is all terribly off topic.

Most UK kettles are 2.2kW these days as the current is limited to just under 10A as that's the highest limit across the EU. Stops people from taking a UK kettle to Spain and blowing the wiring or causing fires....

Are you sure. I can't find a directive on the matter and a I can easily find kettles for sale in the UK that are 3 kW. Is it possible that this has been discussed but not yet implemented.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?field-keywords=3000+kettle (414 hits)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?field-keywords=2200+kettle (471 hits)

Mine came from ASDA about a year ago. Was pretty cheap. Says on the bottom "power consumption 2500-3000 w". Came fitted with a 13A fuse. I shall made a note not to use it in Spain.

Edited by unbeliever

Are you sure. I can't find a directive on the matter and a I can easily find kettles for sale in the UK that are 3 kW. Is it possible that this has been discussed but not yet implemented.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?field-keywords=3000+kettle (414 hits)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?field-keywords=2200+kettle (471 hits)

Mine came from ASDA about a year ago. Was pretty cheap. Says on the bottom "power consumption 2500-3000 w". Came fitted with a 13A fuse. I shall made a note not to use it in Spain.

I don't think it's an EU directive per se - just what the manufacturers decided so only one set of spares, components, etc for the entire EU. I am at a loss to recall where I was told this though.

Most UK kettles are 2.2kW these days as the current is limited to just under 10A as that's the highest limit across the EU. Stops people from taking a UK kettle to Spain and blowing the wiring or causing fires....

The EU is also hot on car safety and eco standards; but non EU standard cars are allowed to be sold in the UK/EU.

We have cheap electrical goods, kids scooters, TVs and everything, from faraway places with low standards.

The EU is also hot on car safety and eco standards; but non EU standard cars are allowed to be sold in the UK/EU.

We have cheap electrical goods, kids scooters, TVs and everything, from faraway places with low standards.

And ever heard of the CE mark....?

Also the low standard stuff does tend to get removed, witness the recall of the hoverboards last year for a start

There are electric hybrids available for most sizes of vehicle including buses and HGVs.

Taken from the Renault webby site.

" The Hybris Tech truck uses a type of diesel-electric hybrid known as ‘parallel hybrid' technology, by combining an internal combustion engine with an electric motor. As the vehicle brakes or decelerates, its kinetic energy is stored in traction batteries and it is then used to power the electric motor, which drives the truck at speeds of less than 20km/h. Any faster and the diesel engine kicks in."

So that's no use whatever is it. Take notice that the main drive unit is, yes a diesel engine, unless you want to drive down the M1 at speeds below 20km/h which is 12.4 mph.

Angel1.