Npower installing Smart Meters in Sheffield

I had a text message informing me that NPower would installing a Smart Meter at my property in Sheffield on the 17th March and somebody needed to be there whilst they did the change over as the supply would be turned off.

I don't want a smart meter as I'm not keen on my personal information and usage details being used for marketing at different energy companies..

I rang NPower and asked if I had to have one installed … apparently not, you don't have to have one, they just take a few details and remove your name from the list of installations.

Worth considering, if like you me don't want all your information out there for all and sundry to use to sell to you

Still against Smart meters at least until such time as there is one type of meter whoever your supplier is.

There is, this change was brought in last year.

Any smart meter installed post Oct/Nov 2016 has to be compatible with any supplier.

The smart meters they are installing at the moment are NOT compatible for use with other suppliers so if you switch from NPower you have to switch your meters again.I was due to have the smart meters fitted a few weeks ago but cancelled after I was informed by NPower that theirs were NOT compatible with other suppliers. They told me that the "universal" smart meters should be available for their customers later this year.

Most companies offer it to everyone, but they don't tell you an engineer is coming they ask if you want one first.

Sounds like N Power are being far too pushy with them.

Probably because too many people are doing google research into the meters, seeing the negatives, and deciding to decline them.

Typical of corporations to get 'pushy' when that happens :(