Npower installing Smart Meters in Sheffield

I'm sure I've read somewhere that they are using Group4, to do this work - a company some people might not be comfortable with.

Depending on who your supplier is, different agencies are used to install meters.

G4S Utilities (which was sold last year so G4S don't actually own it), Amey, Lowery Beck and a few others.

As for smart meters still needing to be 'read', the smart part of the meter relies on a SIM card to send the readings to the utility company. If you live in an area with poor signal strength, the info may not send - however your meter will still connect to the small consumer screen in your home so you can see 'real time' what your usage is.

The energy companies are extremely keen on smart metres because they can switch off your supply if you struggle to pay.

They can stop your supply and switch you to a payment card system without fitting a new metre.

Complete and utter rubbish.

Anything to corroborate this please?

It's a sector I'm quite familiar with so would be interested to read any evidence to support this.

Complete and utter rubbish.

Anything to corroborate this please?

It's a sector I'm quite familiar with so would be interested to read any evidence to support this.

I work in the industry.

It IS possible for the meters to be switched from credit to PPM (pay as you go) without having access to it. It is also possible to turn the supply off.

However, despite what some people think, utility companies follow a very strict code of conduct toward their customers and would NEVER cut off supply to a residential property unless in extreme circumstances and certainly not before contact and discussions have been made with the customer.

Similar to switching the meter - the customer would be notified well in advance and someone would also visit the property to talk to them before any action.

---------- Post added 09-03-2017 at 13:36 ----------

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/smart-meters-how-they-work

can work in either mode "Smart meters can work in prepayment or credit mode."

of course that info could be wrong

Absolutely they can. That's part of the reason for them.

You really think they'll do that??

Wow

A Money Mail investigation has discovered Britain’s leading power firms are expected to introduce tariffs that charge more at peak times when they roll out new electronic meters which monitor how much energy you use by the second.

It means electricity and gas used in the evenings could cost 99 per cent more than at other times — penalising everyone cooking family meals, watching popular TV shows and heating their homes on chilly winter evenings.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-3322658/The-great-smart-meter-rip-UK-energy-giants-use-devices-DOUBLE-cost-power-need-most.html

Too early to report how much our bills have risen or fallen since getting our smart meter, but the way it's concentrated our minds on how much energy we're using I'd expect it be significantly lower!

The installation went totally to plan

Too early to report how much our bills have risen or fallen since getting our smart meter, but the way it's concentrated our minds on how much energy we're using I'd expect it be significantly lower!

The installation went totally to plan

They wont do anything now. They will wait until they are in every home.

So when the big six energy companies finally have us by the balls they will do what they want. Charge us what they want when they want.

Im not into conspiracy theories but im not getting one. :suspect: